• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Out door caging.

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
Hey, I was thinking about keeping my gu's outside because its usualy nice and warm here. Then I remembered that the humidity in south california is usualy pretty low. Do you think it would still be ok to house them outside? will cypress mulch bedding help make it more humid?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You could mist them with a hose a few times a day, also they would need a underground burrow, it gets too hot in summer without a place to cool off there.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes, the burrow would be there to keep cool in the day time and warm at night. It would be fine as long as they can escape the heat and cold. You would still need to spray the enclosure a couple times a day.

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
Does anyone who has kept outdoors have any problems with non-tegu animals causing problems? I'm talking about rodents, nesting wasps, etc. Is there really anything to really worry about if the cage keeps cats and raptors away? Just curious. I'm going to give it a shot this summer.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't worry about cats or raptors, as the old saying goes "yum, tastes like chicken", lol. I don't think any animals here want any part of an adult tegu, not even most dogs. I do keep young tegus covered, but all of the adults have open tops and I have never had any problems at all here.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Haha, I can only imagine an animal landing in a pen of adult tegus...especially Bobby's massive ones...it wouldn't last long I can tell you that much...especially a trio of adults.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
omgtaylorg said:
Haha, I can only imagine an animal landing in a pen of adult tegus...especially Bobby's massive ones...it wouldn't last long I can tell you that much...especially a trio of adults.

I have warned the people that live around my house about the cats that they let run loose. I told them my tegus are not loose and if a cat goes into my cages, they do so at thier own risk. I will not think twice about free roaming cats getting hurt if they dont keep them at home.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Free dinner, cats are supposed to be intelligent...wouldnt be wise to jump in adult tegu cages. And birds...haha not a problem for tegus...I really dont see any threat to worry about with your tegus at all

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
I won't have the open top on mine. There will at least be some mesh.

I never underestimate a feral cat. They are killers. Consummate hunters. Housecats, not so much. I've seen feral cats out in the country hold their own with farm dogs. Big farm dogs like shepards and retreivers. The cat may not have killed the dogs, but they made their points, nonetheless and I wouldn't want to put any lizards I cared about into that scenario.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980