• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Out of hibernation food.

VenomVipe

5 Year Member
Im not sure if anyone remembers me from quite a while ago. The new site was quite a shock to me. But anyway, My tegu is two years old(or will be this june) and finally woke up from a long hibernation. Over the summer I had move to Utah so it was pretty rough for all of my animals but especially my tegu. As a yearling he was only able to reach two feet and is still at that now as I wake him. He went into hibernation around october so i put him a basement in my temporary house. Living in Mississippi, I had no idea how cold a concrete basement could get. so for two weeks he was freezing. Then I moved him to the warm part of the house where he was able to more comfortable hibernating.
My point is, He had a very rough winter and now waking him, he has a nice tail base but I can tell he is very tired and weak. This summer I have the perfect place to build one of Bobby's outdoor enclosures but for now, I have him in his hatchling enclosure where he has room but...its not gonna last with the way I plan to make up for lost time and growth this summer. SO...my big question is, Is there a preferred food I could give him to give strength enough to eat his normal staple foods? Thanks guys. I cool being back on here.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey welcome back. I always like to bring spring in with some chicken gizzards for my two boys. Lots of good stuff. This year my older tegu didnt want them so i gave him ground turkey with no luck, tried rodents which had been a fav and nothing fish nope, then i found some ground rabbit and man did he woof that down, now his eatting normally.

But i digress, i would stick to something simple to diguest and that is packed full of vit and nutriants, somthing that is a whole animal (like mice or day old chicks) or organ meat or things along that line.

Good to see you back

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I haven't had a tegu brumate yet but I was thinking maybe a mouse or something because its got a lot of the nutrients and vitamins to get him going but there is also the fur factor. Ground turkey would be another good one, I would just make sure to add a multi vitamin supplement to it and make sure to also add the calcium supplement.

VenomVipe

5 Year Member
Ok, thanks guys...I think he will really enjoy a rodent. Hopefully that will get his strength up and I really hope he'll be up to eating something hefty. But I can can already tell a difference. He has been drinking A LOT. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980