• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Outdoor enclosures

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Eveyone is looking at building outside enclosures, here is how mine are set up. Here is a picture, that at the time was under construction, but it gives you a general description:
This enclosure is 8ft x 8ft x 6ft. It has 1/2 inch plywood, 2ft up from the ground all the way around, this is for two reasons. One is to keep your tegu from rubbing his/her nose. The other reason is to keep dogs, cats, or varmints from getting in. On the bottom I used new heavy duty chicken wire buried with five inches of soil, then I add cypress mulch and the top layer is fine hay. The chicken wire is attached to 2x4s buried in the ground all the way around the inside. On the top I used 3/4 inch plywood, and from the plywood at the bottom all the way to the top I used chicken wire. There is a hole going down outside the enclosure. It is lined with wire. The wire is attached to the bottom to the wire in the bottom. It goes to a box buried outside under the ground 2 feet. The box has a hole cut out of the side of it. the wire is attached to the box. The tunnel is lined with indoor/outdoor carpet. This keeps the tegus from rubbing the wire traveling in and out of the hole. There is no where to go but the box or the cage. the wire is connected to the box, as well as the wire in the bottom of the cage.

As for sunlight. I build mine so that they get morning sunlight as well as afternoon. Argentine tegus bask in the cooler parts of the day. When it is the hottest part of the day, they go into their burrows.

These pictures will give you some ideas.

DSCN1580.jpg

16x8_enclosure_1.jpg

Enclosure23.jpg

scotty93801

5 Year Member
The enclosure looks like it's sitting on pallets. I want to build an outdoor enclosure and need all the help I can get .

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The one on the pallets was made so I could move it if I need to. They are my breeding bins, I can put one male and one female in each one for breeding and for the females to nest in.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
scotty93801 said:
Instead of using the wire to make the tunnel could I use a 10 inch
pvc pipe connected to the burrow box?

Yes you can, but you need to make it where they can get traction. The inside of the pipe would be pretty slick inside.

Taucher76

5 Year Member
Hi varnyard

how many tegus will live in the first cage?
Is every part for one tegu???

in some weeks,better hope day...i will show my new outdoor enclosure...i hope...the weather turnns...from warm to frosty days...

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I take it you are talking about the unpainted cage, those are breeding bins. They are 4x8ft and one female and one male go into each one. After the female starts building a nest the male is pulled out.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here is a closer look.

This is the back side view:
DSCN3234.jpg

This is a picture showing the entrance to the burrow, this is shut off during nesting to keep the females from laying the eggs under ground.
DSCN3233.jpg

Side views.
DSCN3240.jpg

DSCN3236.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029