• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

outsmarted by a tegu

G

So after reading a few members comments on the bathtub trick to help with taming, I thought it'd be fun/good to try it myself. I cleaned out the tub and laid down a blanket then crawled into it and let my little tegu run around. At first it wanted nothing to do with me, it took just over a half hour before curiosity got the best of it and it started exploring me. First my pant leg, then the gap under my knees, then my arm sleeve, then it crawled onto my stomach and then further up my arm. I felt like I was finally making progress... But then it crawled a little higher and jumped right out of the tub and ran behind the toilet..
Thank god I had put a towel in front of the door, this little guy would have been dog chow! I know tegus are supposed to be smart but I didn't know the babies were! Lesson learned, don't underestimate their intelligence (or jumping abilities) :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh

Nessie

Thats cute but so true about their smarts!
After I did a Tegu safty check around my bathroom I let him free roam. Well the little bugger found a small 1" square under my cabnet and was gone! I was histerical and in tears think I lost my Tegu! My hubby had to bust down the end of the vanity and thankfully it was just a spacing issue between the vanity and wall. It went no where thank goodness! That was about 2 months ago and to this day he still heads for that same spot.

I tried the bath tub trick a while back and was wearing a pair of capris and Dezie, after flicking around awhile decided to go right up the pant leg and find a comfy spot to crash. I couldn't stand up for awhile and I had to drop my pants just to get him out.

G

I'm glad yours was alright! Yeah I put on my boyfriends pajama pants and sort of curled the bottoms in so he couldn't climb up them, I was so worried I'd squish him every time he tried to crawl under my legs! It was weird, earlier he was huffing and acting all macho but he seemed alright in the tub, I'm guessing thats because he got to check me out on his own terms. I think I might let him roam around the bathroom, after checking for escape routes, I would hate for him to launch himself out of the tub again and get hurt. They really seem to keep you on your toes! Fast little things!

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Lol. This is just the beginning :) . I'm so glad that you put the towel in front of the door. If you have a screen top, do you have any savety clips on there ? They can jump preety high and he/she could get out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.