• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

over feeding?

Derek Doel

I have a male Argentine black and white tegu that is about 16mos old. He is spending time sleeping during the days but also likes to wander around outside the cage for a few hours everyday, doesnt seem to interesting in hibernating. I have cut back the amount of food he eats and only feed every 3rd day now. Is it normal for them not to poop during this time? He doesnt look like he is impacted, walks fine, doesn't favour 1 side over the other.

Humidity is 70-90%(depending on time of day), day time temp is average of 88 degrees and night time is 70 degrees

Derek Doel

i have done that, he seems to be fussy and will only go to the bathroom in the water..... i have tried rubbing his stomach to "work it out" but doesnt work, he shows no discomfort when you rub him..

Derek Doel

the basking temps are around 92 degrees, and the humidity sits around 65%. I feed him some pinky mice with some cod liver oil on saturday and this afternoon he successfully pooped,he sure does look better, not so bloated. Going to lay off the ground turkey for a bit I think

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Really need to up the basking temp. It should be at least 120. Be sure your measuring with a temp gun. Having it at 92 will give you impaction problems

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Because it was so low it probably took longer to digest which is why he didn't poop for awhile. Also be careful with the cod liver oil, it cAn be easily overdosed and is toxic

Derek Doel

i replaced the thermometer that was in there and added a bigger stronger heat source and it is now sitting at 117. that is good to know about the cod live oil as i had read on another site that it was safe for them. it was only 1 capsule that i dried the oil out of

Derek Doel

both, i have a digital one that monitors the humidty as well as temp, i have had a temp gun all along but never even thought of using that to measure the temps. They were both within 2 degrees of each other. The digital one is halfway down the back wall by the heat/light source and i used the temp gun right where he likes to stretch out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980