• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

over the wall

erk

5 Year Member
About 2 months ago I took in a 1 year old B&W female. I took her to the vet and the fecal came back fine. I put her in quarantine. Saturday, I took her and our Red to the vet for a checkup. They both had fecals done and both came back clean.

I decided to put them both in the same 8X3X3 enclosure. I divided the enclosure in half with a piece of plywood, since she has been a little defensive lately. I didn't want her to hurt my Red, but want them to get used to each other's "smell".

Yesterday, my wife called me at work to tell me that she just saw the B&W jump over the plywood divider to the other side of the enclosure. The divider is 2 1/2 feet tall, but she managed to get over it. My wife tried to move the B&W back to the other side, but couldn't because of the B&W's "defensiveness". I told my wife to leave her there but, check in on them every hour to make sure that they were ok.

When I got home from work both Tegus were down for the night. I decided to look for the B&W and put her back on her side of the enclosure. I dug around but, I didn't find her. I couldn't even find my Red. I then looked around on the B&W's side of the enclosure. There I found them both, curled up together, sleeping peacefully, under a big ceramic pot.

Why would they want to sleep in the same burrow? Why would they go out of their way to jump over a 2 1/2 foot divider? The B&W actually jumped over the divider two times (once into the Red's side and then back to her side). The conditions on both sides of the their set-up are the same. They both have the same UVB, same temps( digital thermometers), same humidity (digital Hygrometers), and same food.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tegus are social in the wild, except when nesting females have nests. The males can be territorial if they have a large area, but in the fall there can be many tegus in the same burrow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980