• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Overwhelmed with lighting

kayesdawn

I’m getting ready to build my tegu enclosure and wow I started pricing the lights can anyone please help me out what do I actually need and what works best that doesn’t cost so much I want to have live plants inside and I’m doing a common 8x4x4 enclosure with sliding front door help please!!!!! lol

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Live plants are gonna require some expensive lighting! I'd go with fake plants. Easier to clean. Less maintenance. Then you can focus on the tegus needs instead of worrying about plants.

kayesdawn

Live plants are gonna require some expensive lighting! I'd go with fake plants. Easier to clean. Less maintenance. Then you can focus on the tegus needs instead of worrying about plants.
Good to know ty any recommendations on what lights I’ll need

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes I think we discussed in your other thread. Uvb lighting and a couple heat sources are recommended

kayesdawn

Yes I think we discussed in your other thread. Uvb lighting and a couple heat sources are recommended
I done some checking and some say I can use plain flood lights and regular flourecent lights but I wasn’t sure and no one really says how many watts they need to be lol

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can use plain flood lights for heat but not uvb. Wattage depends heavily on your layout. Best to get a thermometer and experiment with the bulbs you intend on using.

Dude Bro Man 433

I’m getting ready to build my tegu enclosure and wow I started pricing the lights can anyone please help me out what do I actually need and what works best that doesn’t cost so much I want to have live plants inside and I’m doing a common 8x4x4 enclosure with sliding front door help please!!!!! lol
Get the Arcadia dragon lights on Amazon and it’ll tell you a cheap fixture to get, make sure there with in 18 inches from ground and running horizontally I also have a 125 watt uvb heat source

Glostik Willy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201230-125313.png
    Screenshot_20201230-125313.png
    583.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20201230_125601.jpg
    20201230_125601.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17

Glostik Willy

This 1st fixture you get on Amazon the basking area is 6 inches high with a 125 watt mercury vapor it gets about 110 degrees. The other 2 fixtures are like 5 dollars at Lowe's or home depot tgthey have exo terra 5.0 in them. All for under $80 them tube light are to costly to replaces every 6 months because after 6 months there worthless my cage is 6ft by 2ft by 2ft

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201230-125313.png
    Screenshot_20201230-125313.png
    583.1 KB · Views: 2

Glostik Willy

You cage is taller then mine so you will need to figure out the height of your fixtures.

Dylan koch

I used megaray 160w bulbs they are good for uvb and heat work amazing! I had tried live plants with a long uvb type light through enclosure n took them out because my tegus would always destroy the plants so fake are way to go.. n before it got colder in az I take my tegus out daily once or twice minimum in yard for enrichment and exercise to wonder yard and dig and get natural sunlight

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont