• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Pics of Larry

Dallen33

5 Year Member
Checking out the laptop screen

Animals008-2.jpg

Checking out the camera

Animals007.jpg

Can anyone give me an idea on his age or are my pictures to crappy to tell

Beasty

5 Year Member
Only a few months. Born this past season for certain. It's likely he was in hibernation or not offered food often enough to get larger. (likely hibernation tho) Looks good to me.

Dallen33

5 Year Member
Good to know...i got him at petco ( i know not the best place to buy an animal of any kind) so i have no idea what he was up to before i got him. He comes out for a few hours every day and eats ground turkey.

Beasty

5 Year Member
Wow! PetCo eh? What'd they charge ya? I know of a local store that has some for $500! :shock: I haven't seen them myself but that's what I heard from some fellas at the reptile show.

Dallen33

5 Year Member
I got him for 189. There were 2 of them there the last few times id been in there and i though they were awesome so i came home and did a TON of research and here we are, now that i own Larry he'll be able to live a long happy life.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
wow suprised hes not missing his tail and all his toes honestly :D, you got lucky. and its hard to tell a tegus age, they grow in spurts and depending on his diet before you got him, theres just not really a way to know. But deff born last season and hes lookin good, almost like mine. Get him on some pinky RATS not mice, rats will fatten him up and increase his size quickly more than mice will.

Dallen33

5 Year Member
RATS not mice...got it. Very good to know. thanks again to all on this forum. I cannot stress how much i have learned from everyone. Its great that a site like this . Hes still got all his toes and his tail. He had bad shed around his toes that i was sure to get of the second i was able to.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He looks good, although I'd like to see the base of his/her tail to be fatter. It should look very plump. I'm sure you will get him/her there in no time. Definitely get it on rodents as soon as possible. If you can't find rat pups or they are too expensive you can also use mice hoppers. They are more developed and will provide more nutrition. They are also cheaper. I use <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.americanrodent.com/welcome.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.americanrodent.com/welcome.html</a><!-- m --> to order my supplies and highly recommend them.

Also, consider a vet exam to check for parasites (fecal float). The reptiles in the local Petco by me always seem to have mites and it makes me wonder what else they have.

Dallen33

5 Year Member
Also good to know..we have actually been considering a vet exam. We already have a good herp vet who helped our old (now deceased at age 16) bearded dragon make it through a bad bout with liver disease.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
yea the pinky rats arent too bad on pricing, like $2.50-$3.00 a piece all though ive got a friend at my local pet store that hooks me up for free thats why mines on a heavy rat diet and is getting plump, thick thick tail base and not to mention rats are a great source of everything tegus need. But i cant really tell if yours can handle a hopper yet, he might be able to. Rats just have more nutrional value and fat, less furr and bone mass than mice, just all around a better option, i know yours could down 1 or 2 easy.

Schnab

5 Year Member
omgtaylorg said:
Get him on some pinky RATS not mice, rats will fatten him up and increase his size quickly more than mice will.

Wow, I didn't know there was a difference in rats and mice when it comes to nourishment. I knew rodents were great food items but that there is a very helpfull piece of information! I'm getting ready to make a big order of pinkies from a local breader in my area.

Dallen33

5 Year Member
I ended up getting some hopper mice today. Larry was back asleep by the time i got home from work today so i didnt have a chance to feed him one.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Congrats on getting Larry. It's interesting that you got him at Petco. Definitely get a fecal done because parasites are a common thing from those types of stores.

Just note that what you feed him shouldn't be longer then the space between his eyes or else he could get impacted.

Good luck with fattening the little guy up.

Dallen33

5 Year Member
Thanks...i think im going to call my vet tomorrow and set up an appointment. Ill have to check the size of the hopper compared to the space between his eyes. From what ive been reading he should fatten up in no time judging by what everyone says about the eating habits of their tegus.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029