• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Pissy Tegu

Alex Morales

5 Year Member
Well Dino my Argentine Tegu has always been a rather timid going little fella. Well now Dino as of lately has seemed very irritable. He charges at my hand when I go in and doesn't really seem too fond. He's my friend when and after I feed him but other than that he seems nuts. He's not really showing any type of aggression besides the attempts at charging. I heard something about when these guys get about 6-7 months in age they tend to go through a period like this and he's about 7 months now. If that's the case it happened right on time. Thanks again Alex

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ours went through that stage about the same time. It might be Tegu "puberty" and he's trying to act tough. Just let him see you alot, read a book next to his enclosure, don't pay any attention to him, and let him know you're not an enemy. He'll get over it.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
Mine was going through the same thing just before it went into hibernation, its probably a puberty thing, but also may be just an instinct of it still being small and not wanting to get eaten by some huge person. You just have to work through it and watch your fingers and toes, I found that it is rather painful when you get bit by one, which has happened to both my index fingers and one of my thumbs. They also took really long to heal for whatever reason, so just watch what your doing for now and remember it can f**king fly when it wants to and BOOM get you.

Alex Morales

5 Year Member
Well he's calmed down a little bit knock on wood. I put my hand in the cage and was willing to take one for the team but he just smelled my hand and climbed on it and allowed me to handle him. He's also sleeping a lot more but he sure knows when it's time to eat. He charges in my direction and stands on two legs. It's the funniest thing. I'm also not feeding him as much during this time since his metabolism is slowing down and he's already starting to put on some unnecessary weight. I'm aware tegus are rather pudgy but he's getting a bit overweight. I will continue to update. Alex

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029