• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Plastic Water Bowls

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
I found this post in another forum and thought I would share it..

It's been established that the chemicals found in plastic (especially those from which microwaveable containers are made from, and that includes the stuff we all use for snake's water bowls) have health hazards. The main questionable ingredient found in these containers are synthetic estrogens. Now, with humans, they've found that these estrogens don't harm adults or others that are already born. The main threat with these estrogens is what they do to future generations.

Natural estrogens (mainly found in vegetable matter) leave the body. Synthetic estrogens, not so much. Some of it does, but much of it attaches itself to the our organs, particularly the reproductive organs. In humans, the rate of infertility in boys is going up, and the rate of early cancers or pre-cancerous tumors in the reproductive systems is going way up in girls. In my family, my niece had an ovary removed at 16 due to a pre-cancerous tumor. And she's told me of other friends of hers that have similar or other reproductive system issues that when I was growing up just didn't occur to teenagers, or was very rare.

So what is happening is, mom and dad get a build up of these estrogens in their bodies over their lifetime. Mom in particular will pass on the bulk of the toxins, but sperm passes them on as well. Most people who are breeding age today have been exposed to these modern chemicals, so everyone in the 1st world nations are affected by them now. No child is born without them and their possibly detrimental affects.

Knowing this, the same thing could be happening to reptiles we breed. The parents drink water from plastic bowls, which means they ingest synthetic estrogens, and create a new generation affected by these nasties, and which alters their development right in the egg. There's no reason to believe that it wouldn't affect them as it does us, probably more so. And the affects to the reproductive system is just the one they actually are sure is happening in people. They may be responsible for other cancers that are on the rise. Estrogen is a highly powerful hormone, even the excess natural ones are (except that they'll leave the body).
Health Canada has already issued warnings regarding drinking from plastic containers, particularly those in which water and other refreshments are sold in.

Beasty

5 Year Member
MAN! Plastic gives you cancer. Aluminum gives you Alzheimer's. Next thing you know they'll say water and air are bad for you too!
:doh Where'd that Earth restart button go anyway? :chin
:bolt

Filphfio

5 Year Member
Water isn't bad for you, but the chemicals in the water are terrible! even bottled water isn't pure!

Chlorine
Fluoride
Pesticides
Fertilizers
Heavy metals
Petrochemicals
Dioxins
Radioactive Materials
Microorganisms

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ei-resource.org/common-chemical-contaminants-of-municipal-water/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ei-resource.org/common-chemi ... pal-water/</a><!-- m -->

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
lol this is just BS in my opinion.

Barbie dolls, food wrap, plastic toys, topical sunscreens, plastic soda and water bottles, baby bottles, Styrofoam, cosmetics, and even spermicides have this Synthetic Estrogen in it.

di-[2-ethylhexyl] adipate is a liquid plasticizer added to PVC. So in other words, everyone's boaphile exposes this estrogenic chemical to anything that lives inside it.

I mean if this was a big deal in reptiles, wouldn't we have known it so far with the generations of breeding? Humans breed relatively so in my opinion (even though we have a huge population) whereas our reptiles are forced to breed sometimes yearly. Wouldn't we have seen something already?

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
I agree RehabRalphy. It is my humble opinion that a lot of scientists really have NO CLUE what is going on. A lot of things are pure theory and guesses as to what they THINK or HOPE is happening. I'm not saying it can't happen or isn't happening, but i'm sceptical.

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
The reason they are saying the plastic water dishes are toxic is because once water has been sitting in them for a long time, especially if they are in high temperatures, then the plastic begins to release the toxins into the water making the water toxic. Maybe its wrong, I hope so .. but I still took the plastic water dish out of my snakes tank just to be on the safe side lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980