• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Poops often when I take her out

Magnus Boden

Hello,

Like 1/2 or 1/3 times I take her out and put her in my lap or on the sofa she poops.
How do you handle that?

Just live with it or do you only take them out when they have already pooped or do you know any signs when they are about to poop?

Regards
Magnus

KaGaOri

I'm no expert, but I've been doing a lot of research on Tegus lately and according the information I've gathered on the subject, it seems a lot of these guys just don't want to "go" in their enclosure. Apparently some people have their Tegus even potty trained thanks to that - like this guy:
I think this could be the case of your Tegu. Maybe try putting her someplace where she can poop with no damage first and then let her on the sofa or your lap afterwards? Hopefully somebody with more practical experience will reply later ;).

zarnach

This is normal. Mine will even try to go a couple times with nothing even coming out. 1) Getting outside the enclosure is exciting and stimulating. 2) They generally prefer to defecate at some distance away from their house/hide box when possible. 3) They mark territory or leave scent as they survey and explore the environment as a way of communication sort of like a navigational way point. One thing to do is routinely soak them in the tub with warm water for 5-10min after removing them from the enclosure. This may spur any bowl movements before letting them roam around and is easier to clean. If they empty their bowls it is very less to deal with even if they attempt to go again a few minutes later. Hope that helps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus