• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Poor diet

Zandersohl

My tegu is around 6 months old give her take He's only about 14" I think it has to do with his diet The only thing I can get my tegu to eat is eggs and crickets I haven't been able to get crickets Very often From my understanding eggs should be an occasional thing right now that's his main diet I do not like feeding crickets I do get them And will continue to for his health but I need more options than just crickets and I need some vegetables that are easy to feed He responds very well to the smell of eggs And he doesn't seem to realize that greens are food

Acre

Are the eggs light boiled or raw? They can't digest cooked eggs.
I'm happy with the ReptilLinks megablend because I know my kids are getting their veggies. Sometimes, if they are a bit reticent to eat the links I put chopped up mouse on them. Any form of organ meat seems to elicit a feeding response. A bit more expensive but it takes the worry out of things.
Another thing I do is withold any form of moisture from my tub of superworms, another favoritte, and then throw chopped up green beans and collards or dandalion greens in the night before I feed some off. That way the Tegus are getting lots of vegetable matter in the worms.
Superworms need to be bought or mail ordered in bulk, say 300-500 at a time. They keep months and months on wheat bran. Buying 25 or 50 packs isn't practical. Bassets and Flukers both sell superworms.

Zandersohl

Usually I cook it but if it's been a long day or something I was just putting it in a bowl that's really good to know thank you i won't be doing that again. I am new to tegus I worked at a zoo with one i have plenty of experience with all sorts of reptiles and did as much research as I could before purchasing one but my little guy is something different then I'm used to he seems to be doing well but any pointers like this would be much appreciated

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
If your really looking to fatten her up, I recommend getting some ground turkey, mixing that with egg and throw in some crickets with a little calcium. You could even roll them into little balls. My Tegu's loved them and still do!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980