• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Potty Training

Gx3

5 Year Member
Hey I was just wondering if I have just been getting lucky or what. I have only had my baby red for a week now and he is doing great. He crawls into my hand as soon as I put it in his cage and I normally hold him for about an hour under his light in his tank while he basks and then I feed him (so far he has eaten ground turkey and a total of 3 fuzzies). He has already grown over 1.5"!! Anyways, back to my question, every morning before I feed him I put him in his litter box (just a cat litter box) with a paper towel covering the bottom of it and he instantly just stamps his feet and poos. The first day I had him he started pooing on me and I put him into the box right before he finished and ever since he won't poop anywhere else (no kidding he won't go in his cage or on me or anything!) Is this normal for tegus?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have heard accounts where people say their tegu's are litter trained. It is very possible. Some reptiles get themselves into a routine. For example, my friends 6 ft male Green Iguana will only defecate in the tub, usually when the shower is running. So, I think it is very possible your little guy has something going for him. Lucky you. I spot clean everyday and boy they leave some stinkers.

Exhume2Consume

5 Year Member
i take my tegu out of his cage to roam for an hour every 2 days.
and he responds with it pretty good.
since ive had him i had not had to spot clean his cage.
he poops outside.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980