• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Preventing Hibernation?

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
I was just wondering if there's a way to prevent tegus from going into hibernation? I'm not planning on breeding or anything, and i just don't think i like the idea of my lizard being off in sleep for half of the year. It seems like some of you hibernate your tegus and some don't, but what do you that don't do to keep them from it? do you just keep the temperature up?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They'll do what they want to do. Ours didn't fully hibernate last year. They would sleep between 1 and 4 days and be up a day or two, and repeat as necessary.

jor71

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
They'll do what they want to do. Ours didn't fully hibernate last year. They would sleep between 1 and 4 days and be up a day or two, and repeat as necessary.

Hey, do you feed them when they sleep on and off? I would worry that their body would not be able to properly digest.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
jor71 said:
DaveDragon said:

Hey, do you feed them when they sleep on and off? I would worry that their body would not be able to properly digest.
If they're up for a couple of days I offer them food in the morning, then they're have a few hours to digest before they go under for the night or longer. You definitely don't want them sleeping for more than a few days with a full belly.

Magik

5 Year Member
What about Humidity while they are hibernating is it still as necessary to keep it up as much??

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
cooli said:
What about Humidity while they are hibernating is it still as necessary to keep it up as much??
I would think at least 50%, you wouldn't want to dehydrate the little bugger. But under the substrate it might be different. Don't make the mistake I did and pour water in, it runs to the bottom and makes soup.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supportibi