• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Proper Diet from Baby to adult

whiteheadnathan

5 Year Member
I was just wondering when should you start moving from crickets to ground turkey/minced turkey. i dont know if there is a size, my tegu is about 10 inches right now. i tried feeding it some minced turkey today and when i looked in the bowl it seemed as if it had a few bites maby and then ate some crickets. He also may not be used to his home yet since ive had him for only about 4 days now. i know i may be rushing into the ground meat but i just want to make sure he eats enough to get big and strong! :mrgreen:

If anyone has any input into this that would be great! :cheers

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Don't worry about rushing with the meat, Varnyard gives them turkey right after they hatch basically so I can't see it being unhealthy for them. You may want to try breaking it into smaller chunks or thin strips just so it is easier to get down. Also don't be afraid to jam a few crickets into the turkey head first to try and get it to realize the turkey is food.

10" s seems rather small though, how old is this tegu? Does it still have the green head?

Spencer

whiteheadnathan

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info, my tegu lost its green head last shed, its prolly only about a month old or so, it could be about 12 inches or so, i cant be exact because everytime it sees me right now it bolts under its log haha, but ya its had a few bites of turkey and knows its food, ill try feeding him outside the cage with turkey and see how he reacts to it. Thanks again Spencer!

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Turkey is fed raw, feed everything raw except for eggs. You can scramble, soft boil or hard boil them.

No problem at all :)

Spencer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan