• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

purple tiger albino albino red, and purple albino

Renske

5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
It is not the cutting by itself, for me it was cutting and selling the same day.

I had a group of 6 eggs or so that did not hatch out of this last clutch. I tickled and they wiggled, but never pipped. I let them be and then decided to cut maybe a week later. They had all died. Why this group and not others? They were in a separate box, maybe they had temp spikes. But the whole box was apparently not strong enough to hatch on their own.

If they are too weak too get out, and die. They are meant to die. Wen you cut them out, you have animals with healt problems, how get babies with problems. This could be one of the reasons the blue tegus in America have healt problems and albinisme. Albinisme is often a sign of weak genetics...

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The problem with albinism in tegus is there need and love for UVB. UV on an albino can cause eye issues and skin issues. Albinism itself does not mean that that animal is weak, its not seen often because those animals are not suited to live in the wild (too easily seen and eaten as babies). in captivity many albino animals do well, especially nocturnal ones. Tegus basking in the sun can do damage to there eyes due to no pigment to help protect them. As for is it right or wrong to breed a UV needing animal that cannot tolerate UV is up to each breeder.

Deac77

5 Year Member
chelvis said:
The problem with albinism in tegus is there need and love for UVB. UV on an albino can cause eye issues and skin issues. Albinism itself does not mean that that animal is weak, its not seen often because those animals are not suited to live in the wild (too easily seen and eaten as babies). in captivity many albino animals do well, especially nocturnal ones. Tegus basking in the sun can do damage to there eyes due to no pigment to help protect them. As for is it right or wrong to breed a UV needing animal that cannot tolerate UV is up to each breeder.

I agree 100% I would hate to put something like a tegu through that but a Lucy or snow would be a cool alternative

Jeremyxb12

5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
It is not the cutting by itself, for me it was cutting and selling the same day.

I had a group of 6 eggs or so that did not hatch out of this last clutch. I tickled and they wiggled, but never pipped. I let them be and then decided to cut maybe a week later. They had all died. Why this group and not others? They were in a separate box, maybe they had temp spikes. But the whole box was apparently not strong enough to hatch on their own.

If you had decided to cut them that day would they have maybe made it?

I saw some where in here about paraguays and argentines. What are paraguays and how do they differ? sorry i couldnt see the whole thing on my phone thats why

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Paraguay is the locality of some reds and black and whites. Really there is no differance, if you saw one next to an Arg you couldn't tell the difference.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't know if they would have made it or if they would have been deformed.

Some tegus are labelled Paraguay but there is no evidence that they actually came from that area. Many animals are raised/caught in one area and then exported out of another to avoid export bans.

ameivafan123

I think its not a good reason to cut them out. If they die, its not meant to be. They are too weak to love. If you help them and breed again and cut open the eggs... Then after to many weak breeds they can't get out off the egg anymore at their own... Then you destroyd your morph

I think its not a good reason to cut them out. If they die, its not meant to be. They are too weak to love. If you help them and breed again and cut open the eggs... Then after to many weak breeds they can't get out off the egg anymore at their own... Then you destroyd your morph

Yeah, but to me its OK to cut tegus out of their eggs because their not in the wild. Its cruel to leave an live animal to drown in its egg when its a completely healthy animal and can be saved. and not to be rude but whats the point of letting only the stronger ones survive. whats the point of breeding them for strength. in the long run there meant to be pets. cutting the egg is barely going to affect the animal if you do it right. To me that SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST thing doesn't make sense IN CAPTIVITY they don't have nothing to fear or to fight there just pets. :)

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Old thread but, in most cases if they're not strong enough to make it out of the egg on their own it may be because of health reasons, genetic ones at that. So why pass those genes on? Just because an animal makes it through the incubation process and or development for any baby doesn't mean it was meant to survive (for long if at all) even if so to be bred. Survival of the fittest should still be up held even in captivity, who wants a lemon pet that's a genetic mess especially when most people expect to get healthy pets? I don't know about you but I can think of a whole lot of other things and ways to spend my money other than at a Vet hospital. Strong and healthy animals pass on strong and healthy genes, just the same as weak and sickly ones. Not only in the animal world but people are a testament to that as well.

ameivafan123

Old thread but, in most cases if they're not strong enough to make it out of the egg on their own it may be because of health reasons, genetic ones at that. So why pass those genes on? Just because an animal makes it through the incubation process and or development for any baby doesn't mean it was meant to survive (for long if at all) even if so to be bred. Survival of the fittest should still be up held even in captivity, who wants a lemon pet that's a genetic mess especially when most people expect to get healthy pets? I don't know about you but I can think of a whole lot of other things and ways to spend my money other than at a Vet hospital. Strong and healthy animals pass on strong and healthy genes, just the same as weak and sickly ones. Not only in the animal world but people are a testament to that as well.

you got a point there. I didnt look at it that way. thanks for clarifying :)

Renske

5 Year Member
Thank you. My english is not that good. This is exactly what I meen!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980