• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

purple tiger albino albino red, and purple albino

spikeleebd

i got my reptile magazine today and noticed a new morph of tegus . they are called purple albino and purple tiger allbino red tegu. The come from undergroundreptiles and I was wondering has anybody had a chance to see these lil guys in person. They are very beutiful

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There are quite a few posts on here about them. They aren't a new morph as they haven't been proven.

spikeleebd

well from what iwas reading about them they aren't argentine tegus they are from paraguay. i have been thinking about geting 1 but if they are not proven i want the papers for these beauties because underground is doing some good work in my opinion

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Argentines and Paraguay are so close it is nearly impossible to tell the difference unless you picked them up yourself from Paraguay. Papers prove nothing at this point, in order to prove a morph you have to breed them to prove the trait.

Ujarak

First off people labeling tegus as from paraguay is purly a marketing ploy. Unless they went to paraguay themselves and collected these tegus there is no way to know. Second what they are are hybrid tegus. 75% blue 25% red. From what it looks like both parents carried the albino trait and what you end up with is an albino hybrid. They are not some new morph its just an existing morph on a hybrid.

spikeleebd

ok thanks for the education but you guys can't lie they are some beautiful guys if you go and look at the feed on their site

Deac77

5 Year Member
They are good looking but the guy at underground himself said they incubated wrong and had some complications with them it's not known yet if it will breed out yet I do agree they are amazing animals but the price tag is a little to high this year

DavidRosi

I recently saw a video of them; think it was posted on the "tegus from around the world" Facebook; which on an extra note, I love checking everyday.

From what I could see, they seemed healthy enough and yes; visually pleasing... I, however, am not a fan of albino reptiles. I'm sure it's a long, blown out "virtual argument" waiting to happen but breeding something that's not overly tolerant to uv that needs constant uv seems a little, cruel?

tegus4life

yeah I saw that too, and I agree. The whole idea of inbreeding to such an extent just to keep a "morph" going also doesn't sit very well with me.

DavidRosi

And also noticed in the video one of the 'gus had a pretty nasty kink in his tail at the top; but that wasn't one of the albinos.

Renske

5 Year Member
What I saw was that they cut open the eggs! You americans do that all the time... but thats not done in europe. You just don't do that. Its realy bad for there healt... If you take them out bevore they are ready they are not fully done. Helping them out when there head is out of the egg is also not a realy good plan... It makes the animals stronger when they have to fight. If tested it on many animals. The helpt baby where often weak and small. Good babys how fight out of the egg where much bigger and stronger. Weak died but that is how it sould be. Becouse if we keep on breeding with weak animal, we only get more weak animals and they get invertile...

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree with most of what you have to say, but you could have phrased the beginning better. Instead of generalizing a whole nation of people by the acts of a few. Not everyone who breeds cuts their eggs, pulls the babies out or even assists. Regardless of nationality some of us have no problem letting nature take it's course.

I'm sure you'd rather not be generalized as a European with a negative context, so why not have the same consideration for others.

Doing so gives off an air of superiority and ethnocentrism with a racial undertone.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A lot of snake breeders cut the eggs, but tegu breeders do not. This is the only instance that I know of where people were cutting eggs and selling babies the same day at a show. Definitely not standard practice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980