• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Quail eggs

SheriDemou

I have a baby tegu. Why are quail eggs so popular to feed a Tegu, how do you feed them? Raw? Cooked? Whole? Refrigerated? Where do you buy them?

Lady2Lucky

Local Asian markets usually sell quail eggs. You can probably feed them whole. Or you can mix them raw over veggies to make them more palatable. Also, you can eat them. Delicious. (Cook yours). You can also cook them for your tegu. It won't hurt them. :)

bocacash

5 Year Member
I feed them whole to my Jessie...he picks them up and kinda' mouths them, slowly crushing them with his head tilted up...everything runs down his throat and then he swallows the shell. I give him 3-4 at a time...I like the fact that the whole eggshell gets eaten for the calcium...doesn't happen with chicken eggs ! I buy mine from a Quail breeder here in FL...mail order.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
They love raw egg - and are fearless egg hunters in the wild. That's one of the reasons Florida is trying to eradicate them. They devour the alligator eggs there, and are causing a danger to the population....which affects the whole ecosystem eventually.

Some people caution against raw egg (some kind of bacteria could be dangerous if overdosed) - so I don't feed that every day, but more like 2 times a week. I haven't found a source for quail eggs yet...still looking. I just give the raw egg for now. He laps it up like a dog. I've been doing this for a couple years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029