• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

question about feeding

artist

5 Year Member
hey!
i saw a topic like this on another forum. (but with monitors)
they were asking if they should feed in the sav. monitor's enclosure, or a separate bin. well, i replied and said that it would probably be wise to feed in a separate bin because it might be aggressive and i said that it would NOT feel good for a 4-5 foot monitor to mistake you for food. i got BASHED for this. they said that it is pointless to move it to a separate enclosure, and then they started saying that it would be stupid to move a large reptile into another bin for feeding!!!!!! :mad i CALMLY said that it would be wiser to feed in a separate bin, but i can understand if the reptile is too large, but i think that it would be pretty easy to move a 4 foot monitor.
am i right or wrong about this?
do you guys feed your tegus in a separate bin?- i am concerned about aggressive behavior, and i have seen that most people on other forums feed in a separate bin...

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Well you can tell that other forum they are stupid, because its clearly less food agression if you feed in a different bin, as for a larger animal, if you are raising it from a young tegu and have been feeding it in a diff bin the whole time, it obviously will be tame before its that size...simple as that. Even then, I just got a big tegu (4ft+) a few weeks ago and ive already been working with him and had him on my lap and stuff with no agression and I feed in his tank...tegus are very smart animals and I dont feed in a diff bin, I simply rest my hand on top of the tank for a few seconds before i reach in so they know its me.

Chuey

5 Year Member
Me and Ash have one of Dave's Blues. We've been feeding him inside his cage for the better part of 5 months and havn't noticed any food aggression at all. He does when he's hungry rush to the plate of food, but he ignores our hands completely and solely focuses on the food.

I was just thinking that the food aggression if it does happen might be from feeding them live prey? I don't know just a guess, but I havn't seen the aggressive side of the blue tegu yet.

As of lately we've been putting him down on the floor and he'll crawl around until he gets bored and he's of a size now that he can leap up onto our bed to fall alseep depending on the time of day. Otherwise he will pace and pace until he finds a place where he wants to nap, then wakes up and goes back to pacing, maybe poop, pace some more nap...not always in that order but you get the pattern.

Patimus

5 Year Member
Varnyard posted a care sheet about food. Well, he explains how to mix ground turkey in with beef liver. And then explains how to mix cod liver oil into the ground turkey, he then says "They both must be fed in conjunction with each other, the Cod liver oil is needed to metabolite the vitamin A in the beef liver"
Do I have to feed the ground turkey mixed with the beef liver and cod liver oil all in one meal? On my feeding plan, I have beef liver on a seperate day of the week.

Monday Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? Adult Mouse
Tuesday Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? Ground Turkey
Wednesday Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? Adult Mouse
Thursday Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? Ground Turkey
Friday Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? Beef Liver
Saturday Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? Ground Turkey (w Cod Liver Oil) One tablespoon of cod liver oil to one pound of ground turkey
Sunday Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? Scrambled Egg

artist

5 Year Member
this makes me SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAD!!! :mad these extremely rude poeple criticized my opinion, which was what the post was asking for-our OPINIONS, and they continued to bash MY opinion. ugghhhhhh!!!!
some of these people are asking me what reptiles i own, (suggesting toads because i said to feed outside of the enclosure)???????- i guess because i said that i would rather feed outside the enclosure rather than in it.
sorry, you guys probably don't want to hear about this, but i got worked up about it!!!!!

oh, and you didn't mention any roaches/crickets in your feeding schedule. this should be their staple diet. and also, you need to offer fruits and veggies daily. but other than that, it looks good!

Patimus

5 Year Member
It is still fairly small, and its only about 7 and a half months old. I don't want to deal with insects.

artist

5 Year Member
then your diet sounds good, just make sure to include the fruits and veggies!
although, i would highly recommend dubia roaches. i am ordering some and they are EXTREMELY EASY to breed. they don't smell, make noise, climb, or fly. and they are healthier than crickets for a tegu.-just put them in a dark bin and the rest will come easily!

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
Tegus are mostly just meat eaters untill at least one year. Even adult tegus don't really need to much fruit/veggies if any.

jor71

5 Year Member
One thing that was not mentioned was preventing him from ingesting the bedding, plus it keeps the enclosure free from food remains.

Ash at times will grab the food and shake it a bit before eating it. There were times where it landed outside of his bowl area. He also likes to wipe his mouth to get rid of any remaining (stuck) food or to clear his nostrils. This in my opinion is a good way for them to inadvertenly consume some of the bedding.

But, everyone has their own opinion.

It is truly tasteless to call people names, just because you do not agree with them. That is one thing I can't stand about forums or blogs.

artist

5 Year Member
thanks
just what i was thinking. i think that it is sad when a person cannot express his or her opinion without being ridiculed by rude people!

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Agreed with crimson, tegus dont need fruit/veggies in my opinion, Bobby doesnt feed any fruits and I dont know about you but I haven't seen healthier looking tegus than his, especially since tegus are mainly carnivores for the first year and dont need any fruits at all, but even after a year I wont bother with fruits because I dont see the point.

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
I think they mainly eat fruits in the wild so they don't stave to death. Its alot easier to catch a plant than an animal :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980