• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Question on removing from the hide

dorton

5 Year Member
I'm curious how fellow tegu owners handle a small issue. I know you are never supposed
to remove the tegu from its hide. That being said, my small tegu and my schedule are off.
He is active during the mid day, and usually hides in the evening and at night. My large
tegu used to do the same, but over time, its schedule has adapted to mine, and now
when I come home its head is sticking out of the substrate watching for me to open the door.
My small one's favorite hide spot is under a large dog bowl. I have picked it up a couple of times and just let my hand set there for a couple of minutes and it climbs right up and is ready to rest on my shoulder.
Is there ever an acceptable time to remove them from their hide?? After just a couple seconds to wake up, he is as calm and laid back as ever.I know taking them out of their
hide breaks their trust, but at the same time if they are not held/handled I don't see how they could get to trust you if they are not being bonded with.
I guess I'm curious if anyone else has thought about this.
Later
Justin

COWHER

5 Year Member
You know thats a good question I have questions like that often I'm glad you asked it for me :lol: maybe some one will help us out

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
As far as i can say, i would just say that not taking them out of there hide is just a safe thing to tell people.

I have owned over 50 different kinds of snakes and just had 26 boas i was breeding. Out of all those i never once cared about if they were in there hide or not, if they were i would just pull the hide slowley and straight up off of them. I never seen any get more aggressive with me, all but one Rosey boa that was a pet, were very docile.....the Rosey boa had been abused before me and had a bad temper lol.

I do not know if this is the same as Tegus considering boas and Tegus are not the same lol but, it gives an idea on the subject!

AB^

5 Year Member
It's a good idea not to pull the tegus out of hiding but sometimes there's just no helping it :lol:
Just try not to make a habit of it, I know my tegus are a lot more pissy when I dig them up than opposed to when they can see me coming their way

Joey

5 Year Member
Yah if you take it out of it's "safe place" then he will not feel so safe anymore and mabey look at you as a threat. I NEVER take mine out of its "safe place" and try not to wake him up either eventually he/she might get tired of you constantly waking him/her up.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
the hide i have for my tegus is huge..and made of big rocks..so theirs no way im picking it up..all of them sleep in it plus i dont stick my hands any place voren is sleeping..cause he'll eat me.

Joey

5 Year Member
lmao

Lexi said:
the hide i have for my tegus is huge..and made of big rocks..so theirs no way im picking it up..all of them sleep in it plus i dont stick my hands any place voren is sleeping..cause he'll eat me.
lmao yah sounds like a good setup i have a big upside down shaped u log even though its big I still try to make it cozy and try not to move it around or take it out as much as possible

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
yeah..i didnt really think to much ahead on the hide... i build it just for them to bask on..and then they found away under it.. so i moved some rocks around and made it sturdy enough for them to be on and under at the same time.
DSC02073.jpg

DSC02074.jpg

Joey

5 Year Member
hmm

Wow thats an awesome idea I'm gonna consider doing that when my tegu gets older and I have to buy a 6 foot tank. Well for now I only have 1 tegu and I cant tell if its a boy or girl yet its too small. Mabey in a few months I will.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
you get alot more joy out of building your own enclosure.. enless you don thave the time for it.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
so back to the topic. Trust can be built in many ways and is never the same between animals. Apollo hides all over the place. The only place I don't get him out is when he buries in the substrate at night sometimes. He likes to lay under a log, and I pick it up all the time. I just never wake him. If either of the kids are sleeping I leave them alone, but I pick up the log and get him out sometimes. I don't like enclosed hides, because you can't tell what they are doing in there and you never want to put your hand in when they are simply "backed into a corner".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me