• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Question

kellen.watkins

Couldn't tell you, do you think it would be worth it? What do you mean by worth it, as far as I know nobody has done it, I plan on breeding eli and vanilla in a couple years, not for money though more out of curiousity and passion

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My suggestion would be slow down. You haven't successfully bred any tegus yet and are looking at buying 6 more to add to the 3 you already have. It is going to cost a small fortune to feed, house and heat all of them. Get one female and see how things go for a season.

kellen.watkins

Very true, it might be something that you realize is not for you, it breaks my heart at the thought of not being able to walk my female on a leash on and let her free roam if she is breeding because the temperment changes when a female lays eggs

tora

Yeah to be a large scale tegu breeder like you're planing you need to have a lot of land to build outside enclosures. Just one spare building is not going to be enough room to keep 9 tegus, unless you plan on having them all cramped... but then they'll probably be to stressed to breed well. I have 3 bedrooms, no kids, and I don't think I could handle having a 4th tegu. Money isn't the problem, it's the space needed.

Dereks-Dragons

I have 12 acres. Outdoor enclosures I'n the summer and indoor I'n the winter(I live I'n NY) plus the building is going to be on the larger side and I plan to stack cages. Idk what size I wanna do but I can make any sizes. And kellen Thats why I have all males right now. I plan to have 2 pet tegus and the rest be breeders. I just want one breeding group. Or 2 trios. That's why this 60"$ group would be perfect but the guy isn't answering. I have the $ already, I wanted to have them shipped next week.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I wouldn't start with 6 animals(2 trios) personally, what's the big rush anyway? I'd start with a nice pair or at most a trio and build at least 2 enclosures so you can separate them when needed(e.g. females nesting will rip a new one into anything nearby - including males and other females). Also, if you're looking into breeding I'd choose quality over quantity and stay away from those quick pop up deals for WC tegus. Do you want to be a wholesaler or do you want to sell quality tegus to individuals, that's the first decision you need to make. As for your question, I'd probably look for a nice red tegu to breed to that 75%blue x 25%red to get more red influence. Good luck and keep us updated.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree with what everyone is saying, I would start off with one pair to breed, multiple tegus, as I'm sure you already know, is very time, money and space consuming, I had 4 tegus at 1 time on top of a green iguana, rhino iguana, uromastx, boa, python, beardies, geckos ect. And let me tell you I had to get up at 6 am to prepare food/water for most of them and whatever else was needed, luckily I worked in the evening and somedays I would finish up everything needed right before I had to leave, the tegus were the most work because you have to feed em, mist them, poop them, excercise them and socialize them, now one thing you need to be sure of before you breed is will you be able to rehome 40+ tegus and what will you do with the one you can't find homes? Just make sure you think this through and focus on all the aspects before you decide to breed, also I want to add, I really agree with johnmatthew don't. Go with wild caught tegus, you could end up with tegus harboring all types of bacterias, parasites ect. And would cost a lot to get healty

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
JohnMatthew makes a very good point, do you want to be a wholesaler or a breeder of quality tegus? I would spend a little more money and get some quality animals so you can be proud of what you are selling.

Dereks-Dragons

yeah thanks guys. james i do want to sell high quality tegus to individuals. what i thinkim going to do is get a single argentine black and white female. and breed her to my extreme male. and keep it at that for now. i went through all the same questions when i first started breeding high end beardies :p

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think that is a good decision. You will be much happier dealing with quality animals and feel better about what you are selling.

herpgirl2510

If I were going to breed which I do not intend to I would breed extremes. Is it important to know where the tegus parents came from. I would think raising them yourself would be better unless you knew that they were cbb and where they came from. Rather than uying groups of adults from someone you do not know.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bubblz Calhoun said:
An Extreme x B&W wouldn't be no different than what's already on the market. Look at Reps sig there's not much difference between the two.

Overall there isn't much of a difference other than color/patterns and the shape of the head, however I think rayne resemble an extreme somewhat, size is really the selling factor since they get much bigger, but you never know rayne has really caught up with storm in growth and has been keeping up with him, lol maybe she may hit 5'

herpgirl2510

I am just going to throw this out there. How long have you been keeping tegus. I think maybe alot of research needs to be done when you go into breeding. Seems like you are very new and not really sure what to breed together. I would slow down a bit that way when you do breed the lines stay clean and there is a demand for what you are breeding.I think sometimes people want to do it to make money but it seems to me that in order to make money you want to have extensive knowledge about tegus and breed something that makes sense that people would want.

Dereks-Dragons

I don't wanna to it too Much for money but just for the experience. I'm very passionate about reptiles, and I'm not going to breed till spring so I have plenty of time for research I just want my pair set up and hibernating so I'm all set in the spring:) but I'm asking about the pairings because I don't wanna do what you just mentioned,and end up making something that nobody wants. I think a red X extreme would be really Cool I am extremely interested I'n that pairing. But I wanted to see everybody opinion on the pairing, I just made a new thread " final decision" about the 2 females I'm deciding from, please take a look:)

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I bred one year and it is isn't as easy as it seems. I tried a hybrid pairing and had a lot of problems with the incubation period. I used to be able to let my tegus free roam together, but now the one female is boss and attacks any other tegus on sight...years later. Also, when I asked around about crosses, etc, this is what I found: most people are really only interested in redxblue crosses. Crossing a red with anything only dilutes the red. It reduces the value of the both the red and whatever else you have bred it to. Then you have the responsibility of making sure the buyers know it is a hybrid and they are then responsible for not blurring the lines on either side in the future. If I were to breed again, I think I would breed high quality animals of similar species: nice reds or nice extremes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029