• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

quick question?

preston897

i understand that tegus do not have to hibernate. i plan to get a tegu this year from varnyard as a pet with no intentions to breed. i have heard if i keep the temps up that it will not hibernate. but i have also heard that even with the temps kept up they still may hibernate? can somone please give me some clarification on this? what is correct?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
hey preston glad you joined us! but the answer to your question is both could be correct but it greatly depends on your tegu. my nero didnt hibernate at all despite the temps dropping down to the low 60*s for a few days although she did sleep in a few mornings but never fully hibernated. and the cooler temps didnt curb he appetite either!

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Mine did not fully hibernate but like Reptastic's he slowed down and some days, maybe two now and again would "sleep in".

He is now fully alert as spring is here in my area. He is very active now.

...Jefroka

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Jefroka said:
Mine did not fully hibernate but like Reptastic's he slowed down and some days, maybe two now and again would "sleep in".

He is now fully alert as spring is here in my area. He is very active now.

...Jefroka

i envy your tegu lol nero has been going through some sort of "phase" this past week, she is refusing to eat certain foods and rodents i had to go through a bunch of dead rats to find one she would eat! and her activity level is low she just basks infrequently but achilles and pyro has been up eating daily especially with the warm weather we have had the past wk, but it snowed today and guess who ate, pyro! achilles just slept in but he did beg to come out his enclosure and then he proceeded to pester nero, she just laid there while he climbed all over her smelling her nero is one lazy tegu lol hasbeen since she was hatchling, im shocked she didnt jump at the chance to sleep for 7 months :chin

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Well, funny you mention Nero being picky right now, as lately all Beauregard will eat is my free range chicken eggs! He eats three every other day! Thank goodness I have lots of eggs to spare!

...Jefroka

preston897

thankyou. my only issue with the tegus is the hibernation thing. i just wanted to make sure if i keep the temps up they wont fully hibernate

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Unfortunately there's no guarantee one way or another some hibernate some don't. It may have to do with where you live, where they came from or how you keep them. A combination of all 3, just one thing or something completely different all together. For example Txrepgirl and I both have tegus from the same clutch. She's in Texas, I'm in Nevada her 2 hibernated mine (1) didn't.

I don't do anything one way or another with trying to make or keep them from hibernating. I just change the timer with the seasons and what ever happens happens.

preston897

makes sense. yea im in texas as well. the weather is crazy here. i really want to get a tegu like i said the hibernation thing is odd to me.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our adult Blues don't normally hibernate, they just slow down. We haven't seen much of them this winter. One of the females is STILL down!

preston897

you make a good point. i guess i should just quit worrying about the hibernation thing. how do i need to work the lights if it does decide to hibernate?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
if your tegu does decide to hibernate you just decrease the amount of light(12-10-8-6-hours on) as he starts to slow down then eventually once he is down you just leave all the light off unless he wakes up then you turn them back on for a lil while!

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
Temps up or not, your Tegu will do what they wish. If they do hibernate, it is your job to turn the temps down or off so they don't waste away from metabolizing while sleeping. Before you decide not to keep yours from hibernating (by means of disturbing him/her often), make sure that's what you want. It's actually very nice having a break from daily care. Saves money too and saves time before you need to build the big enclosure. Enjoy your new Tegu! I sure love mine!

Cheers,
BLAIR

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
HorseCaak said:
Temps up or not, your Tegu will do what they wish. If they do hibernate, it is your job to turn the temps down or off so they don't waste away from metabolizing while sleeping. Before you decide not to keep yours from hibernating (by means of disturbing him/her often), make sure that's what you want. It's actually very nice having a break from daily care. Saves money too and saves time before you need to build the big enclosure. Enjoy your new Tegu! I sure love mine!

Cheers,
BLAIR

not to mention that they grow rapidly when not hibernating and that food bill grows right along with them! enjoy them while there small.

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
reptastic said:
HorseCaak said:

Cheers,
BLAIR

not to mention that they grow rapidly when not hibernating and that food bill grows right along with them! enjoy them while there small.

Well said Reptastic! Frozen Mice aren't cheap and they get eaten fast the larger they get!