• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Random Aggression in 3 year old tegu

GoddessBunny

So I am not sure what to do, My adult tegu has decided to charge at my hand anytime I'm trying to feed him or change his water in his enclosure. Last Friday he randomly started to charge at me with his mouth open when i was changing his water and giving him food, He wouldn't stop so i left his food bowl out and let him have at it because I didn't have any type of way to get him away from me while I was feeding him, I decided to start feeding him more than normal since he calmed down after he got his food but after that day hes been doing it even with me just trying to change his water, he isn't showing body language that's aggressive so I'm guessing he thinks acting this way is how he is going to get what he wants? I just need some advice on what steps I can take to get him back out of this mindset. I am aware I shouldn't feed him in his enclosure but he wouldn't eat unless it was in his enclosure when he was younger so I just started letting him eat in there

Stellalife1

So I am not sure what to do, My adult tegu has decided to charge at my hand anytime I'm trying to feed him or change his water in his enclosure. Last Friday he randomly started to charge at me with his mouth open when i was changing his water and giving him food, He wouldn't stop so i left his food bowl out and let him have at it because I didn't have any type of way to get him away from me while I was feeding him, I decided to start feeding him more than normal since he calmed down after he got his food but after that day hes been doing it even with me just trying to change his water, he isn't showing body language that's aggressive so I'm guessing he thinks acting this way is how he is going to get what he wants? I just need some advice on what steps I can take to get him back out of this mindset. I am aware I shouldn't feed him in his enclosure but he wouldn't eat unless it was in his enclosure when he was younger so I just started letting him eat in there
Do you go into his enclosure to just move things around daily? When I feed my tegu, I tap on her dish every time and call to her . I tong feed her with the food out of her enclosure so she can't reach it. I also put paper down incase some gets pulled into her enclosure so she doesn't end up getting substrate in her mouth if she pulls some food in. No tapping & calling = no food. They are very smart & pick up very quickly. How often do you feed? What are you feeding him? I went away for 2wks this summer & my son took care of her. He would just put the food in & leave. She did charge me the 1st 2x of opening her enclosure when I got back. Try the tapping & go into the enclosure daily so she/he knows it's not just his/ her enclosure but yours also. They are very smart!!

isislima2

I had an adult female and she was doing the same when we used to reach for the enclosure. But I started target training her, so she learned quick that food just comes when I show the target and she stoped charging at out hands.
Now I have a 4 month old now and I get my hands in there all the time, mess with the substrate, move things around, and throw random objects with my smell in the tank.
I think those little things helps a lot!
For the little one we are trying to train him that he just gets his food if he’s calm, so if he came running for it we don’t give to him right away and just close the tank door for a couple of min until he’s calm. It’s been working off and on, but if he notices we have food and not giving to him he usually goes lay down and wait (at least for the first bite, haha)
Whatever way you prefer to do, the thing is to keep consistency on the training so they’ll understand your message.
Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980