• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rare wildlife sightings

Srakha

5 Year Member
I thought we might make a thread where we could post rare wildlife sightings that you have had personally. That rare herp, bird, or mammal :)

I'll start!

I just saw a Pileated Woodpecker today. I've never seen one before, and I have heard that it is quite rare to see. Very pretty bird, very big, I thought it was a hawk :) Looks like Woody Woodpecker!

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
um...I found a northern flying squirl once.. and i have her as a pet.. People dont see them offten in the wild cause they are nocturnal.

nat

5 Year Member
I see about half a dozen bald eagles a day... so they aren't 'rare' but I know in many parts of north america they are very rare.

ummm I spot a red legged frog from time to time oh and the barred owl that I already posted about. I will have to think more about this one!

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I live in NY and we dont see many eagals here..but there is 2 of them out infront of my house once in a while along the Hudson river.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I just need to look in the mirror to see one....ha

I was up in BC at Whistler and we had just gotten home off the mountains. Well, I wanted to go catch a buzz so I went outside for a "smoke" So I am just chillin and here walks up a Raccoon. Came right up to me about 3 feet away stands up on his hind legs as if saying "Hey...lemme get some!" haha Looked at me for about 5 mins then moved along on his way to do whatever. It was at night so i don't think it was all rabid and demented. Coming from NJ I never see them in the "wild" haha Ohhh and I had a disposal camera on me and snapped a pic. I sure did surprise all my friends when I got the film back. Bunch of disbelievers I tell ya...

nat

5 Year Member
I have always had raccoons around, damn things will use the cat door if you have them ha ha. I love them though, we used to have a blind one that hung out in our backyard. We always left a little something out for him.

other animals that I or my neighbours come into contact with regularly are: cougars, hawks, bears, little green treefrogs, various garter snakes, and sometimes if you are really really lucky... you might just get a glimpse of the vancouver island marmot... one of the rarest animals in the world!

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I just recieved these in a email from my Dad and thought it suited the topic. Enjoy!!

Bambi and Thumper
2005050093621084238_rs.jpg

2005052433787915590_rs.jpg

2005065541139238954_rs.jpg

2005058213330906353_rs.jpg

2005097666300159987_rs.jpg

And man talk about RARE here are som Fireys...it's not everyday you can see one of them let alone photograph it!
2000599783823718546_rs.jpg

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
well I living in a city atmosphere the crazyest thing Ive seen is a flock of huge wild turkeys crossing hylan blvd. (one of the busiest blocks on Staten island

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
It's not really rare, but it was the first time *I'd* seen one.. It's a Redbelly Water Snake in my front yard, really pretty. So i followed him around as he went through our bushes, over our front steps, etc. and took pictures:

OutsideSnake005.jpg

OutsideSnake003.jpg

OutsideSnake006.jpg

I like how in that one he peeked he head up over the bush to watch me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan