• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rat fur impaction?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It looks like both of our Blue Tegu's are impacted with rat fur.

I've seen the male eat cypress mulch (dummy!!). An x-ray taken last Saturday looked like he was impacted in the middle of his intestines. The blockage is soft. We haven't fed him in 3 weeks (he was getting only 1 small rat per week in the feeding rotation). 3 or 4 weeks ago after he threw up his small rat (ate it 2 days before) I removed all the substrate and he's living on the vinyl flooring with plywood leaned up against the sides for hides & basking platforms. He used the platform until the last week.

The female is always wiggling her butt and trying to go, but she may get a little liquid & urate but that's it. She was getting a small rat every other day since she laid eggs 2 months ago. That took alot out of her so I was trying to quickly build her back up with the protein & fat. Instead it looks like the fur plugged her up! We haven't fed her in a week. Her blockage is soft also.

Basking temps are about 100. The male hasn't been basking at all in the past week, the female does.

Today the vet gave them both the liquid barium so they can do an x-ray next Saturday. The male threw it up when we got home. We'll have to call them Monday to see what they want to do with him next.

We've heard mice fur is easier to pass than rat fur. Is that possible??

Sometimes I give them Cod Liver Oil with their turkey. I should have given it to them more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980