• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Red Tegu Hide question

kingbenny

5 Year Member
Hi Guys,

I have a question I was hoping someone could help me with. Does the Hide for Tegu need to be in the hottest part of the viv? I was told this was the case but last night the spotlight melted some of the top of the plastic hide. I thought it was far enough away for it not to happen but i guess i was wrong.

If now thinking of building a low, wooden hide in the hot spot. Are there any woods I need to avoid with Tegus?

Cheers guys!!

Mike

Gx3

5 Year Member
My reds hide is the coolest part of the tank. I have a 6' long tank and a ceramic heater on at night and a 160W powersun on during the day, and both are located on the half of the tank away from his hide. I also put a hide on the warmer side and he prefers the cool side at night, plus if you red is young it is really important to give him a spot to cool down so he doesn't overheat or get dehydrated.

kingbenny

5 Year Member
My reds hide is the coolest part of the tank. I have a 6' long tank and a ceramic heater on at night and a 160W powersun on during the day, and both are located on the half of the tank away from his hide. I also put a hide on the warmer side and he prefers the cool side at night, plus if you red is young it is really important to give him a spot to cool down so he doesn't overheat or get dehydrated.

Thanks so much! Your set up sounds almost exactly the same as mine so I won't worry so much now!!!

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
if you melted your plastic hide box with your basking light it is WAY to close to the enclosure floor,, remember that basking surface temps of 100 to 110 is all you need,, thankfully the hide was not your tegu!! my enclosure is 7' by 3' by 3' and like others have stated i have a hide on the hot side and cool side of my enclosure..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan