• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Red vs. B&W

Which makes a better pet, overall?

• Argentine B&W

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Argentine Red

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
snakehandler said:
I agree with AprilioRufo , when buying a tegu you should consider they need space.
A smaller tegu doesnt neccesarily need less space.
If space is a matter of concern you should consider buying a bearded dragon.

I do not agree with that statement, many people are limited to space and do not have a huge yard like I do, or as much room as many keepers do. I do not want to see a tegu cramed into a really small cage, but a smaller tegu will do just fine in a 3x6. I will also add, I am the one that started saying that tegus need a 4x8, but that is only based on if they are going to stay in the cage all day, eveyday. It would also be based on if it is a large adult male as well. An 8x4 will hold a pair rather nice, I guess this is why I stated this size.

I will bet that most tegu keepers do not even have a cage that large. 4ft x 8ft is a lot of space, and I don't think most people have one.

Another way to help with this would be to build an outdoor enclosure, that way on the nice days they can go outside and have more room to roam. Or even a tegu safe room that can be used to let them roam when they are out in your house.

Aranha

5 Year Member
I recommend b&w since they tend to be alittle calmer than reds but you never know what you'll wind up with. Some tegus are harder to tame than others but i love my b&w and soon getting a red :)

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
As far as cage size goes, I stick with bobby's original plan as an 8x4x4. Tegu size is a crapshoot in b&w's as it is in reds. my red is about 24'' and my b&w is about 30 and he is bulk. I exercise my tegus regularly and have them in a 6x3x3. I'm going with a very large enclosure because I feel that free roam indoors is bad and doesn't happen. we all work and have responsibilities, and the hour long search for the 4ft long tegu that still manages to hide better than the 35cents in the couch, isn't factored in. apollo and venus are with me for 4-6 hours a day and it is not as easy as it sounds. I do woodworking in a one car garage and let them hang out in a open air enclosure to get sun, but I still feel that their main enclosure should be up to snuff. I guess a 6x3x3 would be ok for one, but between school, work, and other things that must get done, you are not going to spend as much time as you think.

Thanks for the backup snakehandler, but instead of a beardie, I would try another teiid, I'm actually looking into getting an amieva.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
snakehandler said:
Also a golden teju can live in a much smaller space than a black and white or a red..

Very very very true and I feel that they have gotten a bad rap because a very few people have actually given them a chance. Thank god there's people like Kevin who actually give them a chance and enjoy them for what they are. I plan on getting a Columbian at some point but I want an amieva first.

Also if space is an issue get yourself a piece of paper, a mechanical pencil, a carpenter's pencil, some wood and screws, and start building a bed. Some support 2x4s in the middle of the tegu's cage doesn't bother them at all. I'm currently building a stand for my High Def TV to house something under it. I just haven't decided what animal would make a good display piece for visitors to see hanging out under the tv. Maybe the Amieva would enjoy it, or possibly something that would really enjoy some serious habitat. Something fairly active. Hmmm...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me