• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Red vs. B&W

Which makes a better pet, overall?

• Argentine B&W

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Argentine Red

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
Okay. i was planning on getting a chacoan, but the rest of my family is a little wierd about having a lizard that will take up so much room.. so we've reached a compromise that i'll get one that's a little bit smaller instead. So, it's a Red or a B&W. So, i want to take a little poll on which you think make better pets. Since I like them both, and their care is basically the same, i'm having a hard time choosing. If you vote, please also explain why.

dorton

5 Year Member
I would say b/w would be your best bet since size is an issue. Reds tend to get a little larger than a b/w. If you decision is based solely on looks, I say a nice looking red is hard to beat.

COWHER

5 Year Member
I voted Black and White. but if you can find a red as cool as this go for it!!!
PICT0436.jpg

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
Well, temperament matters more to me than anything. Anyone have anything to say about how their temperaments compare?

COWHER

5 Year Member
From what I have seen they are both really chill tegus. I don't think there is much of a difference. the biggest factor in temperament between them would be the owner

eddiezahra

5 Year Member
get a red b/c i have one. lol if size is issue liek dorton said b/w are "generally" smaller, there are always exceptions to anything. but if u think about it, your getting a large lizard so whats an extra few inches. i was deciding between the 2 recently and went with a red b/c it was a lil older and the price was right. so that's what made my mind up

Swtbrat

5 Year Member
I have a Red and a B&W and a Chacoan and a Blue and Red cross.
The B&W sheds with no problems at all but my Red is a bugger when he sheds.It takes his body like 2 or 3 days then his tail about a week to 2 weeks later.
If you have the time to work with the Red to help him shed I say get a Red but if not get a B&W. :mrgreen:

Brat!

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
I love the way both look, really. The reds seem a little more exotic for some reason, though.. maybe it's because i don't see them as often. But B&W are a little cheaper, heh. Soooo... i just don't know. I could always get a second one somedayy. If there's no difference in how they act, then.. i still don't know. I'll look at more pics and try to decide which i like better.

COWHER

5 Year Member
Yet it depends in the red I have seen gorgeous reds like I pictured above and Most on this site have awesome Reds Yet I have seen some that look like little piglets, and i hate that pink piglet look.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Not really sure what the point of this is. 6 inches doesn't make much difference between tegus. Chacoan, Reds, Blues, Black and Whites, they're all gonna need an 8x4x4 to be comfortable and if that's not an option, than neither is buying a tegu.

COWHER

5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:
Not really sure what the point of this is. 6 inches doesn't make much difference between tegus. Chacoan, Reds, Blues, Black and Whites, they're all gonna need an 8x4x4 to be comfortable and if that's not an option, than neither is buying a tegu.

Very good point!!!

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
Then... Why do i keep seeing people on this and other forums saying that they keep theirs in a 6 x 3 fine?... Seriously.. I don't think most people keeping tegus really go 100% with the 8x4 thing. I mean, if they aren't spending a whole lot of time getting them out every day and they're spending almost all of their time in there, then that's totally different.. but once it gets that big, i plan on having him out every day. Plus.. wouldn't that mean that if everyone totally followed the 8x4 rule that everyone keeping a pair would need an 8 x 8?

And on the varnyard website, even, it says 6 x 3 minimum. Other places put smaller minimums.. but i was planning on a 6x3(with a sort of "shelf" thing on some of it) and *lots* of out time.. but i thought that might be pushing it for one a little bigger, like a chacoan. Plus, getting one even just a little bit smaller makes my family feel better about it for some reason.

COWHER

5 Year Member
thats cool. you do what you feel is ok and will keep the animal happy and healthy. I take mine out alot too in the summer he/she likes to lay on the window sill and soak up the sun lol

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A 6x3 would be fine for a female Chacoan/Extreme, it will not be big enough for a male though. They are almost twice the size of the females.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
I agree with AprilioRufo , when buying a tegu you should consider they need space.
A smaller tegu doesnt neccesarily need less space.
If space is a matter of concern you should consider buying a bearded dragon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me