• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

red x B/W update

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, reptastic has asked for photos, so I'll have to post some when Hook wakes up tomorrow. You know that I had some problems with that clutch, right?

Stevie was born blind and with some skull deformities. He was sent to live with a good friend and tegu owner up north who could spend the time hand feeding him. Stevie never grew beyond 9-10" I think, and passed last winter around hibernation time.

Jeremy was a healthy B/W with orange markings that I sold to a local acquiantance, but I haven't seen him. She told me that he is huge and in a full sized enclosure now. Monster looked like a big red baby, and was sold/shipped to CA (I believe). Again, no photos, but I hear he/she is doing great and growing well.

Hook is one that I kept because he/she just wasn't quite right. Her tongue kinda sticks out of the side and she has a hard time eating soft, ground foods. Like Stevie, she has not experienced a lot of growth and is hard to get to gain weight. She also seems to have an elongated torso. I wanted to let you know so that when you see the photos of this miniature tegu, it doesn't come across as weird as it seems. ;)

It's sort of been a sensitive subject for me. :( Losing so many baby tegus was quite heartbreaking. I still don't know if it was something genetic or an error during incubation. Since the main issue seemed to be umbilical hernias and skull deformities, I'm thinking it was an incubation issue.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
Hook is one that I kept because he/she just wasn't quite right. Her tongue kinda sticks out of the side and she has a hard time eating soft, ground foods. Like Stevie, she has not experienced a lot of growth and is hard to get to gain weight. She also seems to have an elongated torso.

Quasi is the same in that he doesn't seem to put on much size even though he eats well enough(a little picky but not that bad). The hump on his back seems to have gotten a bit larger in proportion to his body but I'm hoping this coming season he has better growth spurts. Unfortunately he was adamant about hibernating this year so I won't get to keep feeding him throughout the winter. Best of luck with special needs Hook, I'll be rooting for you both!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I understand, maybe perhaps it was something similar to what happened to bobby, i know it had to be emotional for you, do you think you will try again someday?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't know . I'd like to and I thought the surviving offspring were handsome. But you know how it is when they are your pets and you feel responsible for bringing them into the world. I think I would feel more confident if I knew exactly what happened. I'm thinking it was temperature fluctuation at a crucial stage.

John, is Quasi the blue from DaveDragon's clutch a few years back?

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
John, is Quasi the blue from DaveDragon's clutch a few years back?

No, he's a normal B&W I got from Bobby last year when I went to pick up Boon. He was born with a slight hump in his back and Bobby had him separated from the rest of the babies. I told Bobby I had room and wouldn't mind taking care of him so I ended up with 2 new tegus that day.

I'm terrible at updating pictures but here's an old one in which you can see it, Boon has his arm draped over the hump but it's still pretty noticeable.
100_0882.jpg

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
TeguBuzz said:
I love that picture John! Man they look great. Hope Quasi keeps growing!

Thanks, they're still getting along quite well even with their huge size difference. I do have to supervise feedings though. Quasi always seems to want whatever piece of food Boon has in his mouth even though Boon looks like he could just about swallow Quasi whole!

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How big is Quasi? Hook has a similar bump on the neck, but much smaller, and only when she holds her head a certain way. She's about 2ft, but no longer. (I call her she, no idea really)

The first picture is from May. I can't get a good photo that doesn't bleach out her color. All of the light spots are yellow with a good bit of orange or red speckled.
HookMay11.jpg

These are from last night

Hookfacedec11.jpg

HookbellyDec11.jpg

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hook sure has some beautiful coloring! Quasi is right around the 2 foot mark as well.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
These are the other two siblings as hatchlings.
monsterandjeremy.jpg

monster1.jpg

Hook as a hatchling
hook.jpg

Mom's belly shot when she was younger. She's a Varnyard B/W (Dark Lady x Zeus)
orangebelly.jpg

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think hook is adorable, i think in time she should come into her own, obviously she is well cared for

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus