• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Removing the Hide

whiteheadnathan

5 Year Member
Hey i was just wondering, i have been trying to tame my tegu, i tried the ignoring it and it licked my fingers a few times then just sat there, and then i went to pet it as it seemed to be calm and it tail whipped and then walked away down one side of the aquarium and then when i moved went back into its hide.

i was wondering if it is okay to remove the hide for taming after it is no longer underneath it. if it is already out will it lose trust in you for removing it and placing it outside in order to tame it.

Any Insight would be appreciated thanks!

P.S. The tegu is about 1.5/2 months old and ive had it for about 2 weeks

i0r

5 Year Member
I would recommend you not to take away it's hiding place. It's where it will go to feel safe. You just need to be patient. Give it a few more weeks without petting. Just sit with him so he can see you. Place your hand in his tank so he can sniff and explore you. You will gradually see him starting to trust you. But it's all about patience. Good luck!

kryptonitebarz

5 Year Member
The t-shirt trick really helped Bloo and I bond so that's what I would suggest along with just leaving your hand in the cage while watching a movie. Now she allows me to take her out the cage when I slide my hand under her belly and since I feed her in the bathroom with the door closed she explores the bathroom, finds nothing interesting then jumps on me just to rest on my shoulders and is very calmed by the scent of my t-shirt. Patience is the key! Good luck.

whiteheadnathan

5 Year Member
thanks! i think i am just being impatient because you see the adults being so tame and then you got this little monster who just wants to run away hahah

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980