• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rep-cal iguana food

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I bought some of this for Eddie, the juvenile one. I've been offering it every other day or so and he seems to enjoy it. I mix it in with his greens but he always picks it out and sometimes eats all of the pellets and leaves some greens. Is this an issue? On days that I feed him just greens or greens and fruit he eats everything.. I tried to attach pics of the product and ingredients but my phones having issues uploading them. Ill try from my computer in a bit.

And thanks to josh for adding this section!

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
I was feeding this stuff to my bearded dragon (the bearded dragon formula) until I read the ingredients. I'm not a huge fan of feeding corn, wheat and soy to ANY animal. Not to mention the food colouring and other questionable ingredients like Menadione (synthetic vitamin K banned from human consumption and linked to many health issues in dogs/cats). As an emergency or back up food source, it'll probably be fine but I wouldn't feed it all day, erry day. lol Fresh food > processed commercial food but I don't think I need to tell you that. :)

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I used it for my beardie a few years ago too. I know it's got fillers in it but would it be a poor choice to use it to help him add some weight? The corn stood out to me as well. I wasn't aware of the synthetic vit K, now I'm considering tossing it. The junk might explain why he's so quick to devour it. My dogs don't eat corn products because one of them has an allergy.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
Since corn is notorious for adding weight to dogs (too much weight, in fact haha) I'm sure it could help in a pinch.

Here's a commercial brand of Iguana food I really like. I just have a hard time finding it here:
Frozen formula: http://www.sfbb.com/Garden-Gumbo%E2%84%A2_63.php

Freeze Dried: http://www.sfbb.com/Veggie-Mix_78.php

The freeze dried does contain corn but it's way down the list as opposed to Rep-Cal's where corn is the bulk of the food. This company also makes meat mixes for tegus. lol

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's impossible to find in my area. I'm going to order it online but wanted to see if he would even eat anything like this before buying it online. Mazuri has been suggested by a few people but it also has a bunch of filler in it. None of it should ever be used as a staple.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
Mazuri is really not much better than rep-cal from what I recall. I know repashy has new meal-replacement foods now. I'll find you the link when I'm not on my phone and at home.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
Here are the mazuri ingredients. I don't know if they've been updated:

Ingredients
Dehulled soybean meal, dehydrated alfalfa meal, ground soybean hulls, wheat middlings, ground corn, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, soybean oil, salt, DL-methionine, cholecalciferol (vitamin D3), pyridoxine hydrochloride, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (vitamin C), menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (vitamin K), d-alpha tocopheryl acetate (natural source vitamin E), folic acid, vitamin A acetate, calcium pantothenate, biotin, thiamin mononitrate, ethoxyquin (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, nicotinic acid, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous carbonate, copper sulfate, zinc sulfate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite.

RobK.

zoo-med is one of the better ones , BUT mine will not eat it . so instead of wasting it, i blended/ground it together with Mazuri and rep-cal . I sprinkle it on his food and mist with water . Also when i give mine Mazuri and also sprinkle this blend on top of the moist Mazuri TC . I give mine around 6-8 mazuri pellets a day as a treat not his main food .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980