• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Reptisun/hunger strike?

Ganji

Hey everyone I've been doing alot of research about tegusover the past 2 months, I finally ended up getting one Sunday. No amount of research feels like it helped, I'm still confused on some things and maybe someone could help.
So 1.) How long can a 2 month go without food? The first 2 days of having them I've given them eggs in the morning and ground turkey in the afternoon and they won't touch either. They had 5 crickets after I gave them a bath, they huff when I have my hand in the cage or come near but did extremely well when I finally got them into the bath. As from what I read from other posts. 2.) It seems no-one agrees on lighting. I had alot of trouble getting the basking spot anywhere above 100 degrees, I finally ended up going with a 100 watt and 150 watt reptisun dual lamp that has the basking spot at 123-125 degrees and the air temperature at the hot side around 93-98. The cool side is around 78-84 and the last thing I want to do is fry my new baby. Any advice would help!

Ganji

Long story short, how long can they go without food (whilst not brumating) couldn't find an answer for that. Also is the reptisun all-in-1 a good lamp to have or is it no good for tegus? I just have a few laying around from having bearded dragons and have yet to see anyone mention anything about them.

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
I also meant the powersun all-in-1 not reptisun!!!
Congrats on getting your Tegu's!, as far as lighting both of my enclosure are lit w/ Powersun 160w. I have them both on a mount to were I can increase or decrease the basking temp which is nice. Tegu's are pretty hardy animals, which allows for some miscalculations at times from my experience 110-115 basking spot has worked well for both of my tegu's. I keep my humidity high 85-90% and I also try to keep the cooler side of of the enclosure about 75-80 degrees.

In regards to eating, when you first get your Tegu its totally normal for some to not eat or eat in small amounts due to being in a new environment. The opportunity that a lot of new owners have is not to be so excited about your new tegus that you over stress them out by handling them and grabbing them out of their hide. Give them some space for the first week or two. Its sounds like yours due enjoy crickets so give them that everyday make sure they have clean water and leave them be.

The feeding schedule for younger tegu is once everyday. It isn't until they become yearlings that you feed them every other day. Hopefully this answers your questions and I'm sure others will also chime in on your question as well.

Lady2Lucky

I would like to agree with TheTeguNovice. Our tegu also had trouble eating when he came home for the first time.
I also agree that a lower temp basking spot is fine. 110 is our highest. Humidity at above 80% is critical and probably the hardest part to get right.

They can go without food for a long while. They will come out to look for it when hungry and interested. If you put some plants into the enclosure, you may notice they beat those up because they are hungry.

Some people disagree about the relative merits of grabbing the tegus from their hides in the beginning. I'm not going to comment on that. Just make sure you don't bother them too much. You should expect them to want a LOT of alone time in the beginning as they acclimate. Hang out near their tank and let them watch you not be threatening. Eat. Leave a bit of what you ate (if it is healthy enough) near the edge of their tank for them to explore after you leave. Establish yourself as a trustworthy being.

Good luck!

Teggers

Long story short, how long can they go without food (whilst not brumating) couldn't find an answer for that. Also is the reptisun all-in-1 a good lamp to have or is it no good for tegus? I just have a few laying around from having bearded dragons and have yet to see anyone mention anything about them.
My young guy (he was 1-2 months) did not eat for almost an entire month when I first got him! I tried everything. He eventually came around and is now a ravenous beast. :)

ColdBlooded1

At least Tegu's don't have the ball python issue, BP's can really go off food for what seems like months, very frustrating! Tegus will eat you out of house and home if you let them, and I'm sure you will not have any problems with your babies very soon. My Tegu was born in Feb 2021 and growing like a weed. At first he was very pissy about me picking him up, and now he comes out of his enclosure onto me of his own accord. He still tail whips sometimes when i take him outside and try and pick him up, but I think he is a dominant male, at least that what he acts like.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980