• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

respiratory infection or disease and stress

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
I read the annual issue of reptiles as iam sure many of you did and I have a few questions that some of you may help me with. It said that easily stressed animals get respiratory infections from stress. Now im trying to tame my 4 month year old red and when i handle him he pants heavily which I was told was caused by stress. Now my questions are has anyone encountered a respiratory infec. or disease in a tegu? Are tegus easily stressed? And am I being too anal? I dont want him to get sick but I do want him to be able to free roam and be tame.

Any info at all would be a great help as always.

COWHER

5 Year Member
when they huff like that its a warning letting you know he is not happy.. but no i haven't had a respiratory infection by him huffing

snakehandler

5 Year Member
Stress in animals and in humans for that case lowers the immune system so yes stress can cause sickness and even death, especially in reptiles. When you 'tame' a tegu make sure he doesnt feel threatened in any way and take it slow. Let him get accustomed to you.
Make slow movements and let him know your not a threat but in fact
someone that is his friend. As it gets older it will get used to you.

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
are tegus considered an easily stressed reptile though?? My logic would be that there not since they are usually handled a lot by there keepers.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
All reptiles are prone to stress, even being caged can cause stress in reptiles. Some are more prone to stress than others but remember that these animals have evolved over hundreds of thousands of years in the wild and being captive is not their natural state of being.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me