• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

rocks in stool but no rocks in enclosure

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
Has anybodys tegus had like gray sandy looking rocks the size of jelly beans in its stool. Two of these objects i have had to manually pull out of my tegus rectum, two more came out just fine. I have no rocks in the enclosure and the tegs never been around rocks so i am assuming these rock like objects are being made and formed in side the intestines, But from what? and why?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They could be urate plugs, but they are normally white. Solid plugs that need to be pulled out are a sign of not enough water. Give your Tegu a very warm (90 degree) long bath every day until he clears his system.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
Thanks DaveDragon, So these gray looking rocks (plugs) are somewhat normal then in tegus? Dehydration causes these rocks (plugs)?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
mr.tegu said:
Thanks DaveDragon, So these gray looking rocks (plugs) are somewhat normal then in tegus? Dehydration causes these rocks (plugs)?
If it crumbles if you squeeze it, it's a urate plug. It should be white though. They normally pass urates but it will form plugs if they aren't hydrated enough. Check out the texture and post some pics if you're still not sure.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
ok i will post picture this afternoon my wife has the camera in her purse at work. These things do not crumble though. I have to use a hammer on my concrete patio to break them and see what the inside looks like. I even spoke with bobby on the phone about these things and he said the same thing your saying about the urate plugs being white/yellow in color, not gray. He also said that he has never heard of such a thing as gray rocks in stool. The first two were rough and sharpe looking. That was about a week and a half ago and those were the ones i had to help pass. My tegu had normal poops until yesterday when s/he passed two small ones in its water dish about the size of the tip of a pinky finger.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Oh no, get him into the emergency vet!

Did you have him outside at all? That day I brought my tegu out about a month ago he ate a rock...

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
No i dont know for sure yet. I cant see spurs but i do think the cheecks look big for a girl. So im just waiting to see yet what s/he is.

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
crimsonrazac said:
Congratulations! You have sucessfully bred the rare rock tegu!
What temp do you incubate those "eggs"??? :mrgreen:

Between 1870Ã?â??Ã?ºC and 1920Ã?â??Ã?ºC should be fine :) Give them 45-372 days to hatch.

steel-poorman.jpg

Theres a good picture of one of my incubators :)

Schnab

5 Year Member
This is very strange. I'm curious to see the conclusion of the mystery rock. Unless it's some kind of kidney stone?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980