• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rony/Roni

RobK.

Member
Messages
726
Not sure if its a he or she yet so it will depend if it Roni or Rony .

Rony2.jpg
 

reptastic

Moderator
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Messages
2,798
Nice head shot, its hard to say when they are younger i knew khaos was a male because once he hit 20" i could see his hemipenis bulges start to form also i consulted with a few cyclura keepers who thought the same, not to mention he had a rather larger head compared to his body either way thats one fantastic rhino
 

herpgirl2510

Member
Messages
999
Great shot I love the detail right down to the reflection in his eye. Lucky you thinking of a name. Usually I never have a problem thinking of a name I am struggling with one for my rhino.
 

Bubblz Calhoun

Moderator
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Messages
2,402
Location
Las Vegas, NV.
herpgirl2510 said:
Great shot I love the detail right down to the reflection in his eye. Lucky you thinking of a name. Usually I never have a problem thinking of a name I am struggling with one for my rhino.

Very nice,.. I agree ^ ^ ^ out of everything else,.. the eye got my attention the most
 

teguboy77

Member
5 Year Member
Messages
893
Hey rob k do you use the fluorescent lamps from megaray along with your megaray uvb bulb?I will be doing that as soon as my fluorescent lamp from megaray is in stock it on back order but i paied for it already i was just wondering.Your rhino sure did change alot from when you first got him/her.
 

RobK.

Member
Messages
726
teguboy77 said:
Hey rob k do you use the fluorescent lamps from megaray along with your megaray uvb bulb?I will be doing that as soon as my fluorescent lamp from megaray is in stock it on back order but i paied for it already i was just wondering.Your rhino sure did change alot from when you first got him/her.

like you i have a flourescent on back order with a MVB , and a MVB on its way due this friday . I am not so sure my Zoomed bulb is putting out as much UVB as when i got it , my Rhino is now staying under it way more that it did . I need to get a solar meter , as i don't trust any bulbs to keep working as long as they say they do . Right now i have a 48'' 10.0 zoo med next to a 48'' 5000 k daylight down the middle for fill in lights . The 10.0 tube is the closest to the basking areas of the two . I am trying to make mine set up like they show on Reptile UV web site . It makes sence that NO ONE bulb can replace the sun . My Rhino cage is realy bright , but he has places to go if he wants to get out of the light . The two Solar glows are sitting in a closet and going to be back up bulbs ONLY and only if i don't have a megaray or powersun . I should take them back to petsmart .
 

teguboy77

Member
5 Year Member
Messages
893
How old is the zoo med again?Yeah i mean they all decay over time.Yes if i were you i would get a sloar meter i love mine,and i just tested my megaray 100 watt at 20'' thursday and its still putting out 156mw even at a month old.Yeah its been a week since i ordered the flourescent ,and i got a free 160 watt coming tuesday and that will be my back up.As far as solar glo i will never use one of those again for my rhino as i tested a brand new one and its uvb output was so low at 18'' below 50mw so i;m done with those lol,but thats my opinion.Yes i took mine back and they gave me a new one but i should of got my money back they said they would give my money back.
 

reptastic

Moderator
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Messages
2,798
I use solar glo, they are ok but i want to switch to the megaray, but looks like i will have to wait since i see so many people have theirs on backorder, i used a solarglo and a solarglo flourescent for my rhino
 

teguboy77

Member
5 Year Member
Messages
893
They have sb 100 watt,160watt sb bulbs in stock its the flourescent bulbs there out of,i used to use sloar glo but as soon as i bought my sloar meter and did a test on a brand new solar glo 160watt mvb the uvb outout was very low compared to megaray so i'll stick with megaray.

Heres the megaray mw i got out of a 100watt brand new bulb below
12''-480mw
16''303mw
18''212mw
20''172mw

Here's what i got mw out of a brand new solar glo below 160watt
12''-118mw
16''-65mw
18''47mw
20''37mw
24''26mw

This was tested bye a solar meter 6.2.
 

reptastic

Moderator
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Messages
2,798
See thats why i want to switch, money is tight right now trying to finish paying for this tegu enclosure lol, but before i get any new reptiles im going to get me a few megaray bulbs, i want a solar meter too, it would be fun testing different bulbs
 

teguboy77

Member
5 Year Member
Messages
893
Yes thats why i switched proofs in the pudding,thats why i got a solar meter to test my bulbs lol,40 dollars a bulb for solar glo and they put out weak uvb reading forget that.This is just my opinion from what i saw on the solar meter.:)
 

RobK.

Member
Messages
726
teguboy77 said:
How old is the zoo med again?Yeah i mean they all decay over time.Yes if i were you i would get a sloar meter i love mine,and i just tested my megaray 100 watt at 20'' thursday and its still putting out 156mw even at a month old.Yeah its been a week since i ordered the flourescent ,and i got a free 160 watt coming tuesday and that will be my back up.As far as solar glo i will never use one of those again for my rhino as i tested a brand new one and its uvb output was so low at 18'' below 50mw so i;m done with those lol,but thats my opinion.Yes i took mine back and they gave me a new one but i should of got my money back they said they would give my money back.

my zoo/med powersun is only a month old . It most likely is only putting out 100 MW or so . so he may need to stay under it longer to get enough UV. The solar-glow bulbs with only be used as VERY last resort . it was like night and day when i switched from solar-glow to zoo-med powersun .
 

teguboy77

Member
5 Year Member
Messages
893
Well i guess the only way to know is to get a solar meter how much uvb the powersun is putting out,between 50-250 uW/cm2 mimics the natural environment enough to keep your UV-dependent basking reptiles healthy that is what reptile uv states.
 

RobK.

Member
Messages
726
reptastic said:
I use solar glo, they are ok but i want to switch to the megaray, but looks like i will have to wait since i see so many people have theirs on backorder, i used a solarglo and a solarglo flourescent for my rhino


I don't think the MVB by mega-ray are on back order . i think the florescent bulbs are . I ordered 100 watt MVB and they shipped it the next day . But ordered a florescent and a MVB and it back ordered . I bet its back ordered because i ordered both . Not sure though .


Today I fed my Rhino by hand as did my two sons , and their spouses . He was not scared at all . We fed him watercress and Moringa tree leaves . They all loved him and he was a hit .
 

teguboy77

Member
5 Year Member
Messages
893
Yeah they have the regular 100watt,160watt that what the lady told me when i called there,the florescent bulbs are on back order though.Thats great to hear your rhino is doing so well and he was a hit lol,your rhino sure looks healthy and well taken care off.:)
 

RobK.

Member
Messages
726
teguboy77 said:
Yeah they have the regular 100watt,160watt that what the lady told me when i called there,the florescent bulbs are on back order though.Thats great to hear your rhino is doing so well and he was a hit lol,your rhino sure looks healthy and well taken care off.:)

He's getting to be so much fun . I will have to admit at first I though I had made a mistake getting another rhino , because he was such a stress case . Any time i came in the room he would cower in the corner for hours after , and that went on for about two months . Patience patience patience is the key with these guys . Then slowly he calmed down to a point , then like a switch turned in his head , my hand was no longer a bad thing . I do feel feeding him treats with a 12'' long stick, then shorting it a little every week made a big difference with him. My hand was now a treat giver and a good guy . I also started hand feeding him from his basking table and hold my hand just far enough away , that he has to step on to or climb on my hand to reach the treat . He will climb all the way onto my hand and sit there eating his treat . Then when he is done i slowly put him back on his basking table . He is getting better by the day .
 

teguboy77

Member
5 Year Member
Messages
893
My rhino to is doing alot better,honestly he was never reel flighty,alittle nervous at first but even now hes fine with me petting him or removing him to clean his cage every day,during feeding he comes right over to his dish or will sit and wait like a dog its funny how smart they are lol.And i agree 100% patience and time is key.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
20,100
Messages
177,813
Members
10,327
Latest member
tmelanc602
Top