• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rudicollis Cage in Progress

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
This is a cage I'm working on for my Black Roughneck Monitor. It's not done, but here's the progress. It's made out of plywood, and sealed with a two part apoxy for garage floors (very durable against sharp claws) and paintable caulking.
EdgewaterCage2.jpg

Here's how I control the lights:
EdgewaterCage3.jpg

I've never used light cages before, but they were pushed on me pretty hard at the shop I visited, so I thought I'd see if I liked them or not:
EdgewaterCageLights.jpg

And here's the night light as well as UVB. I should mention that many monitor keepers have successfully bred monitors without UVB and without a photo period, but considering the limited success with breeding rudicollis, I figure there's no good reason not to experiment:
EdgewaterCageLights2.jpg

Some plants:
EdgewaterCage4.jpg

EdgewaterCage1.jpg

And of course, Edgar:
EdgarHand.jpg

EdgarHead.jpg

I am definitely going to do something with the back wall, but I can't decide if I want a rock wall or pieces of cork bark or what. I know I want to have some vines growing on the back wall, but I'll just have to come to a decision about what to do.

Thanks

-Chris

AB^

5 Year Member
looks good, the thing that sucks about those light cages is the animals will climb on them and hang and burn. For that reason alone I dont use them in any of my cages.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I sort of thought the same thing. But EBV insisted that I buy them, so I did it anyway. I'll just end up taking them off. Thanks

-Chris

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
That is very nice. It reminds me of the time i had to put into building my tegu cage and how much the materials cost alone. How much is the tally up to so far if your keeping track.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Looks great bro. Did you mitre the mouldings yourself? Really looks sharp. I'm a little confused though because I'm not sure I understand the cage problem. Don't you have to use those cages or they will touch the lights? I like the solid construction of those and if you're not gonna use em... I could use em, unless you think that herps don't really go up to the lights.

dicy

5 Year Member
normaly ligths r out of reach but by placing cages around them the animals can reach them so burn ther self annyway cant whait to see the end result but i gues its going to be nice :D

hoosier

5 Year Member
Not bad man. i personally would go with cork bark on the back wall. its alot easier to put in an makes more climbing space.plus i just like the look of cork bark on the wall of cages 8)

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Yeah, I was thinking about getting a lot of small cork pieces and laying them against the back wall. Then, I could use the gaps between the pieces to put plants in.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Looking awesome so far, looks like he is going to have an awesome enclosure.

dicy

5 Year Member
why not try sumthing like this <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.terrarienbau.ch/Rueckwandbau.htm">http://www.terrarienbau.ch/Rueckwandbau.htm</a><!-- m -->
its in german but ul get the idia its not to dificult and looks cool to

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Thanks for the link Dicy. What is up with those Germans? They make the coolest stuff. Seems like there's a different mentality towards reptiles out there.

A Rock wall is certainly an option, but I want to make sure that it is easy to climb, so I may go with the cork bark. It may be a mixture of both. If I do use the rock wall, I'll be to leave pot inserts so that I can plant and replace foliage as needed.

-Chris

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
I use the nontoxic cement and put fake plants and heavy vines into the cement. Cheap easy and very efficient for climbing. Germany and countries within its proximity are dear to my heart. A basilisk treated like a king, these are the lessons we should be teaching our youth. Desiree and I are going from school to school educating children on the proper care and ethics involved in reptile keeping. I apologize for ranting in your topic Larry, but seeing your enclosure is just more proof that us experienced and morally correct herpetoculturists, treat animals the way they should be treated, let us each take up your cross and teach the world that reptiles make incredible pets, and knowledge makes incredible keepers. Thank you tegutalk community for holding true what is important. You all have my utmost respect.

dicy

5 Year Member
iv poted pics of my gilleni here on the forum shifty but back on topic i think the fake rocks hold better in humid vivs than corckpanels loose pieces of corck whill hold but than the question is whill the wood hold always tricky whit homemade vivs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan