• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sand Boa Substrate

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
What is a good substrate for sand boas that isn't sand? I just got home from taking Magica to the vet, and she had a big urate crysstal mass blocking her vent (he was able to break it down and remove it). The x-ray also showed a little sand in her intestines and the vet suggested I change the substrate. I've been housing her on Zoo Med reptile sand since it's so fine-grained. I house my kingsnake those snake aspen chip things, would those work for a sand boa?

got10

Play yard sand from toys r us. I use it over any of the commercially available stuff out there. They will sell you anything in a pet store to get a sale. I asked breeders at the reptile expo what they keep they're dragons and uromastyx on . And they all said play ground sand as well. If you get the sand from a hard ware store (ei Lowes, home depot )make sure to was the sand first to remove ammonia . At fifty pounds for 6.99 it sure beats 7.99 for some brightly colored stuff that will clog up and kill your animal or cause you to have a big vet bill.
Just some food for thought.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980