• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sand substrate

Sirhc401

I know there is a lot of controversy on this subject but I have talked to some ppl who say calcium sand is fine. I am looking to put my bearded dragons on sand. But I wanted to have some opinions first. I know I will get mixed opinions but I would like to hear from some ppl who use sand as well.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When I kept beardeds and leopards I kept them both on sand. I didnt have any problems.

Sirhc401

That's what I figured. I'm sick of doing research online because a bunch of lunatics who no nothing of animals post a bunch of garbage about what is good and bad. I like this website for being able to get right to the real info.

numarix

We use play sand and top soil for our tortoises. Both have no chemicals added.

20111105174322.jpg

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Sand is normall okay as long as you feed them in a seperate enclosure, calcium sand or not theres always a chance of impaction. Also, some beardies (like mine) like to lick everything they see including the sand because its a salty taste, this is the reason i switched to the reptile carpet. Usually its fine though, I used play sand with all my other beardies I've had

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I never fed out of the enclosure with my beardies or leopards. I also feed my snakes, monitors and tegu in their enclosures. I used the play sand from Home Depot, and never had an impaction problem. Hydration plays a big role in digestion.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Sand alone is bad. Calcium sand,play sand,magic sand its all the same. Horrible to use alone IMO! And even if you feed outside the cage you still have a high risk of impaction, i caught my tegu eating cypress when i never once feed him in that cage on the substrate, i figure he was looking for something to help aid with digestion.

The problem with bearded dragons is they tend to taste there environment. Sand is also very very messy. You plan to also feed him veggies outside the enclosure?

Keep it safe/simple and use tile,news paper or something along that line. Why do you wan to use sand anyway?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Strange_Evil said:
Sand alone is bad. Calcium sand,play sand,magic sand its all the same. Horrible to use alone IMO! And even if you feed outside the cage you still have a high risk of impaction, i caught my tegu eating cypress when i never once feed him in that cage on the substrate, i figure he was looking for something to help aid with digestion.

The problem with bearded dragons is they tend to taste there environment. Sand is also very very messy. You plan to also feed him veggies outside the enclosure?

Keep it safe/simple and use tile,news paper or something along that line. Why do you wan to use sand anyway?

My beardies lived on play sand from Home Depot for the 5 years I had them. Never had a problem.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
TeguBuzz said:
Strange_Evil said:

My beardies lived on play sand from Home Depot for the 5 years I had them. Never had a problem.

Yes, "Your" bearded dragons, i'm speaking for a majority of owners who housed on sand and failed.

Sirhc401

Well see i was talking to a pet store manager who said he houses his beardies on sand. he said the newer calcium sand does not hurt their digestive track, so if they happen to ingest it then its no big deal. i know if i got regular sand my beardies will eat it, cause they are so sloppy with their greens and kick their food out of their dish and everything, and i want to use sand because it retains heat better, will make cleaning poop easier, and looks better.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Sirhc401 said:
Well see i was talking to a pet store manager who said he houses his beardies on sand. he said the newer calcium sand does not hurt their digestive track, so if they happen to ingest it then its no big deal. i know if i got regular sand my beardies will eat it, cause they are so sloppy with their greens and kick their food out of their dish and everything, and i want to use sand because it retains heat better, will make cleaning poop easier, and looks better.

Isn't Calci-Sand supposed to be digestable?
Actually, Calci- Sand is especially dangerous. It is made out of calcium carbonate, but it is known to harden like cement when it gets wet. Many beardies also develop a taste for it, and start eating it! Not only does calcium sand have an incredibly high risk of impaction, but it can harm your dragon in many other ways too

http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=132151
http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-articles/calcium-sand-dangers.html

Your dragon,your choice,good luck!

Sirhc401

*sigh* back to square one...mixed up all over again. Guess I'll just keep them on carpet. Sucks to clean but at the same time I get mixed feedback on sand, everyone who uses it says it is fine, everyone who does not says it is bad? 50 50 chance. I never take those odds with my reptiles. But still this subject confuses me

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Just use tile, it looks good,cleans easy and last pretty much forever. Carpet is also a bit dangerous,it often pulls on the nails of the dragons. Sand holds WAY to many risk.

The tile, holds heat,easy to clean, 0% of impaction or nail damage and looks good.

got10

Sirhc401 said:
I know there is a lot of controversy on this subject but I have talked to some ppl who say calcium sand is fine. I am looking to put my bearded dragons on sand. But I wanted to have some opinions first. I know I will get mixed opinions but I would like to hear from some ppl who use sand as well.

Playsand from toys r us for sandboxes . I asked many breeders and thats what the bulk of them use . The stores that sell you calcium sand are going to sell you what ever they think you will buy. Look at the way some of the places keep animals that should'nt be housed together in the same undersized enclosures . And the places the tell you "It will only get as big as the cage you keep it in" story. they want to move the money from your hand to theirs.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
I've used reptile sand for beardies and uromastyx and have had no issues. I find the colored sand stains my lizards' skin, so I avoid those types. If you're worried about impaction, use a food dish. Or you can condition your beardie to be hand-fed.

Sirhc401

I do use a food dish. But they like to kick it around and get messy dropping food on the floor and then eat it off the floor

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029