• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Semi Hybernation !?

Teg

Hey !
Just wondering if anyone else has had a Tegu which semi hybernates !!? I'm thinking that because he's not eating although I've literally put the plate under his nose few times daily for last few weeks !! He's out basking for a max of 4 hours a day then hides and sleeps, but he'll come out for a pee or a run around daily !!! ? Could this be his Hybernation/half in half out or is he preparing himself, is it a slow process ? Im getting a bit worried now ... Any help ? Thanks !!

Where are you located? Is it becoming winter? Either way, sounds normal for a tegu about to enter brumation or coming out of brumation.

Teg

It looks to me as if he doesn't know if he's coming or going !! lol
I'm from Wales UK. Supposed to be spring but severe cold north easterly winds ... Colder now than in winter !!? :-/

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Gwangi ate less from late November till about two weeks ago. He was eating once every three days and growth slowed somewhat. He is back to eating every day now.

Teg

Thanks ! I resorted to holding the plate for him whilst in the enclosure, after he refused it outside ... He ate 6 chicken chunks, very reluctantly though !! Don't know if I'm doing more harm than good especially if he's trying to Hibernate !? He's losing weight and there's slack skin around his belly ... I'm worried !!

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Is he drinking enough that you have noticed? And what are the temps like? I know niles always likes to really heat up before he'll touch any food at all...

Teg

He's drinking a lot just like normal ! Pee's every day too ! Temps are the same ...
Can't get to grips with a creature which grew from 14 inch to 42 inch in 4 months ... ate like a crocodile and now shy's away from a plate !!!? lol :-/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.