• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sexing the B&W

bored_gurl9023

5 Year Member
I really wasn't sure where this post should go but here it is. I would really prefer to have a female Tegu. I will take either but female preferred. At what point can they be sexed? With tortoises, they are temp sexed. Not sure how Tegu's work.. Is it possible to sex a hatchling successfully? Can someone post a pic of a male and a female adult so I can see a difference? Thanks.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This should help: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279">http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279</a><!-- m -->

As for hatchlings...they would have to be probed in order to determine sex.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
bored_gurl9023 said:
Thankyou. That helped a lot. Hoping for a female. Are they anymore more or less difficult than a male?

They are smaller in size, and don't have the huge jowls like the males, but other than that they are about the same. :)

bored_gurl9023

5 Year Member
It's the Jowls that make me want a female. I don't know, I will love either to pieces but the jowls scare me.. Haha. It's strange, I know but they do! As long as the females are the same in temperment I'm good. Like with the rats I have, my male is calm and collective, the female runs all over the place and is out of one thing and into another!

bored_gurl9023

5 Year Member
More work is not an issue. I a keeper of 2 rats, 3 eastern mud turtles, 2 Leopard tortoises, 2 3-toed box turtles, 1 Russian tortoise, and 1 Hermanns tortoise. Work is no big deal. As long as I can find information to teach me what I'm doing, it won't be a problem. In the process now of waiting for my Easterns to lay eggs. They have been in the nest box but no sign yet..

I will take either sex of Tegu. It's no big deal. I realized if I start with a baby and raise it I won't be afraid. I was scared of Pit Bulls until my dad got a puppy. He grew on me. Sweet dog, sweet Tegu. :)

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
All the more reason to give yourself a break (Lol), but if you don't care, props to you. Normally people who get a single individual want a male, so it's great you're after a female.

bored_gurl9023

5 Year Member
It's what I do for a living. :) I raise and love the animals. I do small work on the side along with school but that's about it. I have enough income with online work and odd jobs to pay electric bills, cable bills, and pet bills. My other half covers rent and food. It works this way. Plus with being home a lot, I get to bond with my animals more. I like the value of trust that I share with them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus