• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Shedding ????!!!

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
today I noticed my red gu is having his/her first serious shed. The question I have is should I pull all of it off or let it happen naturally? ( I sprayed him down with water but that is it) I ask this question because I heard they can loose toes if the shed is on to long. And if it is best to let it happen naturally when do I know if it is cutting off the circulation to his fingers????

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It would take a few sheds (with growth) to cut off the circulation to the toes. 2 of our adult Tegu's had retained shed on a few toes when we got them. A good bath and some olive oil will help loosen retained shed. It may take a few treatments.

Unless there's a problem with retained shed from a previous shed, a bath or two should help. Bump up your humidity if you can. I keep the mulch slightly damp (not moist) so when they burrow at night they get good humidity.

playlboi

5 Year Member
i totally agree. just let it happen naturally. my tegu is in the process of shedding too. i wouldn't bother with his business unless he really needs it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029