• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

should i buy a tegu?

jonniebooboo

just wondering the things to factor in before buying a tegu. i have done research on them ever since i seen one for the first time and feel i at least know the basics. i currently own a chinese water dragon and just in love with reptiles. My finace and i both agree that he gets more attention and kisses than eachother ;) my father in law males custom cabinets and reptile terrariums so that would not be a problem, and i currently work at a pet store and a grocery store so i get many deals! is there anything else i should be considering?

misterpc23

5 Year Member
just wondering the things to factor in before buying a tegu. i have done research on them ever since i seen one for the first time and feel i at least know the basics. i currently own a chinese water dragon and just in love with reptiles. My finace and i both agree that he gets more attention and kisses than eachother ;) my father in law males custom cabinets and reptile terrariums so that would not be a problem, and i currently work at a pet store and a grocery store so i get many deals! is there anything else i should be considering?
Have you done the proper research? Know what they eat? How they act/what they do in the wild? What to do in case of a stuck shed? What their **** is supposed to look like?(And the sheer size of it when they are fully grown) What to do if they bite/tail whip? What to do if it gets injured? What a healthy tegu actually looks like? WHERE/WHO are you getting it from? These are all questions I wish I had more thoroughly researched/asked myself before purchasing my tegu. He had quite the rough start of life due to my lack of knowledge.

jonniebooboo

I have read lots on what to feed them, and the variety they require. Of course i am always reading up more and more all the time. We give our water dragon daily baths, and i would expect to be doing the same for a tegu. I have never seen any before, and they are quite rare in Canada still. The only Canadian breeder is Tegu Topia, which i have already been talking to them and with shipping it would be about $600 for one. There is a Reptile Expo on the coast that i was thinking of going to in April, but im sure even if i went and found some there they would all be wild caught. I have tons of experience with wild caught water dragons and actually they were in very good health compared to what i have read but still dont want to take any chances. I already have a reptile vet in town and she is great.

jonniebooboo

I was also wondering what the difference between a male and female is? I have googled it and no results... I would imagine that males are larger, but how much if any? Any difference in temperament?

tommylee22

Males are larger and I would say one major thing to keep in mind is the amount that they eat. These guys eat a lot and can coast you a bundle if you plan to keep their diet varied/primo. Large enclosure and plenty of attintion. not like keeping a B.dragon or any other small lizard.

T

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me