• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Should I turn down the temp for hibernation or just leave it normal?

John Franzwa

I recently got a black and white tegu and he ate a pinky when I first got him, But hes really slowed down and will not eat should I lower the temperature or just leave it at normal?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Cut basking time to about 8 hrs and let things cool. Stop feeding. Leave water. If he quits going to the light for a while and stays in his hide, cut the basking light and let only natural daylight make it to him.

Mike B

Cut basking time to about 8 hrs and let things cool. Stop feeding. Leave water. If he quits going to the light for a while and stays in his hide, cut the basking light and let only natural daylight make it to him.

I picked up a juvenile Male Red. I got him 2 weeks ago. I unboxed him, let him settle in then when into brumation. I check on him, and make sure there is water in his enclosure. He is housed with my 2’ female. Temp on the cool side is 74, and about 110 on the basking side about 12” away from their log. ? He hissed at me when I went to check on them today. Should I leave him be and am I missing something?

mike

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You're OK. Takes that long to settle in. Having a tame companion will speed it up but a change in homes is traumatic to them.

Mike B

You're OK. Takes that long to settle in. Having a tame companion will speed it up but a change in homes is traumatic to them.
I shouldn’t be concerned about them coming out from time to time basking then going back in their hide? I just few as though I am missing something or not doing it right. I only had my female last year, and she didn’t go into brumation.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I shouldn’t be concerned about them coming out from time to time basking then going back in their hide? I just few as though I am missing something or not doing it right. I only had my female last year, and she didn’t go into brumation.
You should not be concerned about that if a temp gradient is there and over all a little cooler in winter. Individuals vary even wirhin their own life.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam