• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sick or???

Albert

Hello. So I’ll start off with this is my first tegu but I have had multiple reptiles in the past. I believe it’s a male. He seems to be acting strange lately which is concerning me and I’m unsure if it’s normal behavior or if I should take him in to see a vet. He has been going to bed fairly which he always has but it’s earlier then normal. He’s still eating but appetite seems diminished. Poops daily except for today he did not. He seems to just come out bask eat poop bask then back to sleep. He also sleeps longer then he has before. I’d say currently about 4-6 hours awake a day. Now the facts you will want.
Temps-Basking 110F-116F surface temp with temp gun. Cool side 80F
Humility- 60%-80%
Enclosure- 8x3x3 melamine
Lighting- mercury vapor + basking lamp for basking and fluorescent uvb on cool side.
Substrate-bioactive, mix of sand clay reptibark and ecoearth
Deco/acc- small water dish for drinking and large water 24”x18” for bathing/pooping, cork bark log, humidifier for when needed.
Free roam time- aprox 1hr a day more on the weekends. Tho lately he hasn’t been coming out during the week as he’s sleeping when I get home from work.
Diet- a good mix of fruits, veggies, poultry, fish and eggs as well as whole prey (frozen/thawed) I think the food list i use is from here. Calcium 3x a week, vitamins 4x a week. He doesn’t really eat his fruits or veggies I have to roll them into his meat balls and trick him. Even then sometimes he’ll refuse to eat. He’s picky. So with all that am I missing something or doing something wrong, is he sick or just getting ready to burmate? It’s barely even summer here in Canada so not sure what is going on. Any help is appreciated. If a vet trip is what’s needed that’s not an issue I just want him to be healthy.

Edit- I should add that it has been fairly crappy weather here lately. Rain and kinda chilly not sure if that affects behavior in tegus.

Last edited:

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi and welcome. How long have you had him and where geographically did he come from?

Zyn

My adult some times sleeps for entire days I don’t think it’s an issue if your temps diet and humidity are on point. They aren’t super active like say a water monitor more lazy sleep food driven like a skink

Albert

I’ve had him since he was a hatchling. He’s captive born/bred from Florida (Ty park). And yeah he’s just less active then normal I know they can be pretty lazy. Was just not sure if it was something to be concerned about.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How old is he???

Alpha is around 2 ish and is basically the same except sometimes he can crash for days..... I think its once they hit a certain size/maturity their appetites just drop off

Albert

He’s about 1. Not exactly sure but I suspect he was hatched late June early July. I got him in the end of August and I think he was 4-6 weeks old based on size 12” maybe. He’s now almost 4ft nose to tail. Not sure about weight. If it helps.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As long as he is eating and pooping between each meal I wouldn't worry too much and maybe cut a couple of meals out per week (my personal choice) or feed smaller portions

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980