• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

slight trembling after big meal?

theDregs

My tegu is just over 1 month old. He has a Powersun 100 watt bulb over his basking spot which is 6-12" away from the bulb, depending where he sits (through a screen). I spray his food with Zilla calcium supplement spray for about 80% of his meals. This morning I think I over fed him, more crickets than I meant to put into the cage got in there. I think he ate about a dozen. He got real fat.

After he ate his back and forelegs trembled slightly. This lasted about 15 minutes. I took him out and gave him a warm bath (he took a huge crap in it) while I tore apart his aquarium and removed every cricket. He hasn't trembled since, and his fat butt is in fact now looking all through his cage for more crickets. I don't like feeding crickets, really, since they seem to be one of the less nutritious feeder insects, but he goes nuts for them.

Could the trembling have been cause by him being simply stuffed? I can't imagine he isn't getting enough calcium, but I am going to stop using that spray and start using a dust just in case.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Even though you have the Powersun bulb, I would still offer D3. I still apply it to my tortoises food and they live outdoors.

Midwestmonster

5 Year Member
From what I heard the calcium spray is garbage! Stay away from it. Multiple reptile shops have told me that. I don't know if that's the cause but please use a good name brand calcium powder. I don't think your tegu is getting sufficient calcium with that spray.

I use calcium without d3. I know there is a big debate on whether d3 or no d3 , but I also have proper uvb and I give mine vitamin supplement a few times week as well. Mine also get whole prey 2-3 times week.

theDregs

Thanks! I will go pick some up tomorrow! I was going to go to get some today, but I ended up working 12 hours. G'Mork did have some quail eggs with shell yesterday and today, though, so hopefully it helped. he hasn't had any more trembling episodes. I only bought the spray because the pet store didn't have any calcium without D3. The girl working there seemed very knowledgeable at the time and recommended the spray. I feel dumb now.

Last edited:

theDregs

Here is a calcium rich food we found out he loves! Yogurt!

uq8nxPO.jpg

Skeetzy

I may be mistaken, but I believe reptiles are lactose intolerant and yogurt is not any good for them. Any dairy for that matter. I would play it safe and avoid the yogurt, unless someone with more knowledge cares to say otherwise.

Oinari

I thought I've read on here that greek yogurt mixed with mashed raspberries were good for acting as a laxative when light compaction is happening. So I'd personally just not give to much when it's not needed once you get the powder. I shake pinkie sized/shaped chunks of extra lean organic ground turkey (97/3) in a ziplock with Calcium without D3, as well as scrambled eggs every few days, unless his diet of the day includes a couple pinkies and a fuzzy. His appetite grows as fast as his body!

theDregs

Oh, I have plenty of powder now, thanks. Still no more trembling episodes. The yogurt was just a treat. I don't plan on making it a regular thing. I may just give him a spoonful now and then when I have some, though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan