• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Small black flies

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
Arggg, I started getting those flys about two weeks ago. I think they are gnats? I solved the problem when I baked the substrate and cleaned the cage. Hope they don't come back.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They could be fruit flies. Put a small plate or bowl of apple cider vinegar, with a couple of drops of dish washing soap in it, near the enclosure. They'll be drawn to the sweet smell and get stuck in the surface tension the soap creates.

Realitynh

Now I have the flies! I tried the vinegar last night & not a single one was in the bowl this morning! I'm almost 100% sure that they're fruit flies. I had 10 large crickets in his cage about a month & a half ago (when we first got him). He didn't seem too interested in them so they did stay in his cage for a while. I'm wondering if they're fruit flies or gnats or WHAT!? And how to get rid of them!

jondancer

They multiply fast, I found if I let the substrate dry out they go away. While the substrate isn't moist I soak my tegu everyday . Good luck

Johnnydr

I had an outbreak of them a month or so ago. I hung some fly tape around the cage to help a little, and also changed all substrates on my herps and kept them dry for a week. Also, they feed on just about everything your tegu does, so making sure every tiny piece of food is out of there right after feeding is necessary. They are a big pain. In the end I got rid of them fully but letting my house get cold for a couple days.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have them this time of year, too. The weather is nice so I open my house. They like it warm and moist. The ones I have aren't fruit flies, but are all black, slow, and triangle shaped. They are just annoying.

Realitynh

No doubt, well the gu's been asleep for weeks under the couch, so I suppose I could trash the cypress I got in there now & get some fresh stuff...

got10

laurarfl said:
I have them this time of year, too. The weather is nice so I open my house. They like it warm and moist. The ones I have aren't fruit flies, but are all black, slow, and triangle shaped. They are just annoying.

Those flys will breed in standing water and open sewage lines . Check out around your house for open drains . Those are called "Sh*t flies" because they are often found near stinky water and sewage drains.
A drop of dawn dishsoap in the water will drown them. good luck

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I had them in my monitors cages, I think they came in with the dirt. I used a small condiment cup with a 1" square of a No-Pest Strip inside. Poke a few holes in the cup and hang it out of the lizards reach from the top of the cage. It got rid of them in a few weeks.

Off-topic but kjphoto04, do you mind posting some pics of your Sphynx?

Kebechet

Sound like fungus flies, also known as peat flies to me. I have them right now too. They're annoying little bastards, but harmless. I think they came in my block of peat moss. They breed in moist areas, fly very erratically compared to normal fruit flies, and are smaller than a lot of fruit flies I've seen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus