• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

So a guy walks into a pet store...

scarecrow

5 Year Member
Hey everyone!
I'm a n00b!

This is me:
I grew up in the midwest where there is an exotic pet scene, but not that I realized until I left. I moved to California a few years back where I was delighted to find a great big pet store full of reptiles.
The owner gave us (my wife and her friend and myself) a grand tour. The first I was given the chance to hold was an adult female b/w tegu. She was completely tame, flopped on my shoulder contentedly, and I've been working up to getting one since.
Being short on room, cash, and experience, I started small and have been increasing all three to the goal of tegu. I have two reptiles which I love like the kids I'll never have. They are:

Zephyr - hypo-tangerine leopard gecko

DSC01850.jpg

And as a baby...

zephyr.jpg

And Lark - true white designer King Snake.

lark01.jpg

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Woah...that's one of the highest-in-white kingsnakes I've ever seen....is it a variation of the Cali-King, or another locale?

scarecrow

5 Year Member
It is a Cali-King variation. If I have any idea what I'm talking about (which I probably don't), the banded were bred to be black with a white stripe and then reversed. maybe? I really don't know. Thought it was pretty. Bought it.

scarecrow

5 Year Member
Cry with me. Today was a very bad day. I had Lark in a 20 gallon tank with the original fish tank top. My wife and I had planned to get a more secure top as soon as we could get to it, but circumstances prevented us for the past two months. Today Lark found her way out of the tank and we can't find her. I can only hope she found her way outside and will grow fat off the land, and enjoy herself for several years.

...lesson learned. Secure enclosures right away. No excuses.

Man, I feel like crap right now... :cry:

ZEKE

5 Year Member
dont give up finding her yet! i have read about people loosing their snakes for months and then the snake just shows up some day.

my firebellied toad escaped her cage a few weeks ago and i searched for over an hour and i found her in a folded up trash bag, she was still alive, i put her back in her tank and secured the lid. firebellied toads need water so if she was out of her tank for much longer she would have dried up and died.

your snake doesnt need water like an amphibian and snakes can go a while without food, you could still find her :)

i have heard of people making a trap out of like a soda bottle with a mouse inside it, the snake will go in and eat the mouse but then its too fat to get out of the bottle. maybe try it?

aerodan

5 Year Member
Hey N00b!

Where in general CA are you? Welcome to the sunshine :) We're in the South Bay Area (San Jose).

Best,
-AD

scarecrow

5 Year Member
Thanks, Zeke. That makes me feel better. So does my BRAND NEW TEGU!!!! YAAAAAAY!

aerodan, I'm in San Diego. My wife has family in the bay area though. Gorgeous place! I definitely have to visit up there again soon.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
i hope you find your snake, that really is a super nice looking cali kingsnake.

have you posted pics of your new tegu yet? i wana see!

scarecrow

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2346">http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2346</a><!-- m --> Pics!

scarecrow

5 Year Member
:shock: OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!

My wife found the snake in our shower door. Apparently she's on a blue streak and liked the warmth and moisture. Hopefully she'll eat tomorrow. It's been like 3 weeks... :roll:

scarecrow

5 Year Member
for more fun, see this also: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2351">http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2351</a><!-- m -->

scarecrow

5 Year Member
I like the front sliders. We have that for Zephyr (gecko). Any idea if you can buy just the top?

Here are some pictures of the startling discovery.

Laura (my wife) was about to take a shower...

DSC02314.jpg

And this is what she found!

DSC02313.jpg

ZEKE

5 Year Member
yay! im glad you found your snake! its a good thing your wife saw that before she closed the door on it.

scarecrow

5 Year Member
Lark finally ate today. Two little fuzzies. Not a very big meal considering it's been three weeks. I'm going to try and get some live ones for her in a few days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me