• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

soil with manure

akward_silence91

5 Year Member
I know most soils come with manure, but I wanna just clarify if its safe or not to have that stuff in the substrate. It says on the package "do not let animals consume" but there is no other options of when it comes to soil. Its organic, all natural. theres no additives and stuff like that. HELP ME OUT!!! thanks.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The problem with manure is you don't know what the cow or chicken or pig or whatever animal the manure came from has consumed or passed. Organic means there is no chemicals which is great, but if one of the animals had e.coli or some other bug there is a good chance your tegu could get it, cus lets face it all our lizards eat some of their dirt. Try finding a mulch instead, i know in cali it can be hard to find anything other than ceder, pine, or redwood but you can find orchird bark which is a great alternative or even peat moss.

akward_silence91

5 Year Member
ok, but what should i use underneath the mulch? should i just use all cypress? cause i finally got my hands on some recently at an expo. isn't it like 3/4 soil and 1/4 cypress mulch?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree all cypress is much better. It holds humidity well without soil.

akward_silence91

5 Year Member
thank you guys so much!! I gave the soil back and used alcypress and he seems to be really happy. I remodeled everything, so I feel a lot better about his cage now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kid3zoo