• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

some Temper issues with bender.

Exhume2Consume

5 Year Member
so lately shes been acting real tough when i go to take her out.
defensive posture and huffing. i get tired of it so i just go ahead and put my hands under her legs and get her up after that no more bad temper. but shes run at me and my mom before when we were just trying to take her out or even just changing her water. anyways since you guys allways ask for specs and such ill give em to you straight.

Argentine black and white not sure on age. but size is roughly 2 1/2 feet.

cage custom made 4x2x2.

temps are 80 on cool 94-97 in hot and basking on 102.

diet consists of ground turkey with suppliments lacking d3.
occasional worms and cherrys mangos. shes not to fond of fruit.

gimme them tips on even how to handle her cause i dont know if im picking her up properly.

so to wrap it up my questions are.

1. how do i pick her up properly cause shes bigger then my hands.
2. how do i get her to start eating fruits.

THNX! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
to pick her up try to support all four legs. they don't like their legs to dangle. i usually use my right hand under the base of the tail supporting the back feet and my left hand and arm coming under the chest supporting the two front legs. then hold em against your chest so they feel secure and not dangling.

my girl don't like fruit much ether. maybe skip a feeding and offer fruit the next day.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I hold them just the opposite, right hand under the neck & front legs and left hand circling the tail (just in case they do death rolls). They definitely don't like to dangle. Ours don't like being held vertical to my chest, they want to be horizontal, sometimes held in front or on my shoulders. Once I pick them up I cradle them on my right arm, tucking the tail between my body and arm, a whipping tail hurts. Then hold them against me. That leaves the left hand to pet them or to attempt to keep them in place. Most times they feel secure like that. Or they climb up to my shoulders. Don't hold them too tight or they'll feel trapped and you're in for a thrashing!!

dorton

5 Year Member
I would spend some time reading a book, or magazine just sitting beside the enclosure for a while. If I remember correctly, you just got this one the other day. Its trust is not 100% yet, thats partly the reason for the puff up.
I pick mine up one hand uner base of tail, and one between front feet using the index finger and thumb to wrap around throat. This is used to get them out of the enclosure. After they are out, and made sure to be in a calm state, then I place them one my shoulder. However, Dave may not suggest letting them sit on your shoulder, but I'll let Dave elaborate :mrgreen:

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
dorton said:
However, Dave may not suggest letting them sit on your shoulder, but I'll let Dave elaborate :mrgreen:
You must be referring to the famous ear piercing incident!

http://TeguTalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2745#2745

She was on my chest at the time with her head up next to mine.

When I do put them on my shoulders, if I feel some flicking at my ears I quickly turn my head, just in case!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980