• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Something's wrong:/

jmiles50

5 Year Member
Drexel has been hibernating for awhile now. I saw that he dug himself up, and was just sitting in the corner. When I watched him, I could noticed him walking very unsteady. I turned the lights on to give him some heat, and to see if he'd eat. He wanted to eat, but it seems like he's struggling. He'll go to bite the food, and he'll miss it. Oh, it's my ground turkey mix I have for him, so it's not like it's moving. I'm VERY worried!!!!

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My girl went through a full/deep hibernation last winter (her first)...

She woke up quite 'naturally' when I put her cage outside and allowed natural temperature swings and natural sunlight draw her out...

She began coming out during the heat of the day to sunbathe, but wouldn't eat. For the first week or so she was quite unsteady as well...

It seemed quite natural to me that after a 5 month sleep, one would wake up quite groggy. Especially since I wasn't giving her any coffee...

It took her about a month to become fully active, eating full meals and regaining her full agility... but it did all come back.

As a note, through her full hibernation, I did leave her UVB light on for 4 hours a day just in case she woke up and felt the need to get a little Vit D... Although I did not notice her getting up at all for around 5 months.

Why did she wake up? Was she disturbed at all?

I would simply offer a few hours of UVB and let him/her go back to sleep. If he/she stays up or gets up each day, then offer food.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu